Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: paper tuning success but still have a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default paper tuning success but still have a question

I built a paper tune rack today and did my first paper tune. I started at 5-10 feet or so and when i was shooting bullet holes i moved to 10 yards and was still shooting good holes. I was reading how to do it out of an older Martin owners manual in the back section it told how to paper tune. Keep in mind I am left handed so the actions were reversed for me. I started with a right tear (fletchings going through to the right of POI). Here's what the owners manual says in a quote:
    Right tear
    (fletching tears to the right of point)
    This tear may signal:

Note:If you are left handed do these steps in reverse.

Release
    Arrow rest too far to the right
    Move arrow rest to the left

Since I am LH I reversed this and moved my rest to the right but the more I moved it the worse it got. Moving my rest to the right gained me nothing. So I moved it back to original starting place and started moving it to the left and thats when I started gaining. I ended up a few clicks to the left of where I started. In the end i was shooting clean holes. I dialed in my sight at 10 yards. Then I moved to 20 and the same pin was hitting good. By this time I was getting a tad shaky so my 30 yard shots were not steady enough for me to base anything on.

Anyone know why my adjustments were the opposite of what the book said I should be doing?
    Martin Silencer,Nitrous cams, NAP Apache rest, Tru Glo sight
    Martin Speed Demon, Z Cams, NAP drop away rest, Extreme sight
    Gold Tip shafts, Twister vanes, NAP Shockwaves

Post Thanks / Like

Typo..... thats for spring buttons and moving them toward or away from the riser
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds about right considering the vintage of this manual (90s) Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a question that might help answer yours. How does an arrow know it's being shot from a RH or LH bow? Also I like to point out that in Easton's Tuning Guide, next to last paragraph at the bottom of page 7 it states that release shooters SOMETIMES get an opposite reaction from what finger shooters do, so adjust accordingly.

As with so many things about these stupid bows nothing is written in stone. You adjust whatever needs adjusted in whatever direction gives the best results and just accept it. Commit it to memory for the future.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Here's a question that might help answer yours. How does an arrow know it's being shot from a RH or LH bow? Also I like to point out that in Easton's Tuning Guide, next to last paragraph at the bottom of page 7 it states that release shooters SOMETIMES get an opposite reaction from what finger shooters do, so adjust accordingly.

As with so many things about these stupid bows nothing is written in stone. You adjust whatever needs adjusted in whatever direction gives the best results and just accept it. Commit it to memory for the future.
    +1.
    Altho I do think the arrow acts a bit differently between left and right hand bows only because the pull from the cables is in opposite directions.
    (unless your shooting an 'X' system )

Another thing is that with a riser that is cut past center and using a release - the 'archers paradox' is greatly reduced.

Still - as Barry says - adjust it however makes it shoot straight. That is the goal - it dont really matter how you get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Barry and Spiker said, these things aren't written in stone and what works for one setup may not work with another. I generally figure that if I move one way with no results, its time to go the other way. If I'm still not getting the results I want, there's something else at work (fletching contact, drop away not dropping fast enough, etc). All you can do is try and go from there!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I had to redo it again today. I started out at 30 yds and the arrows were fishtailing terrible to the target. I was beginning to wonder what i had been drinking yesterday . So I broke out the paper right and started over. I swear. i believe i did get it today. I had to move my rest even further inward. When I again was punching nice clean holes in the paper, I was able to use my 20 yd pin at 10,20, and 30 yds and it hit a near perfect vertical line so I feel good and the arrows at 30 yds are flying about as perfect as they can. But looking at the arrow on the riser shelf it is way off to the eye. If I was to take a ruler and measure riser to shaft at the rear and riser to shaft at the front I bet it would be off at least 1/8-1/4". Thats alot. I will try it again tomorrow to verify it is not me. But when i quit today I was grouping shafts touching at 30 and I don't think you can ask much more than that. But having the centershot so far out of eyeballs whack makes me think the arrows, although spined correctly, are too limber for some reason thus flexing more than they should. I bet if i stepped up a size i would have my centershot more eyeball appealing but I would be sacrificing speed for a heavier arrow. I am shooting 100 gr field tips and expandables so I really don't want to lower my tip weight. To look at it now the arrow is grossly crooked across the shelf. But hey it seems to shoot well.

Specs are 60 lbs, silencer, nitrous cams, 28" draw length, gold tip 5575 shafts cut to 29", 100 grain tips. I have been around and around with this dang bow on AT and here and although I am gaining I am sick of it already. My old bow never gave me this much trouble. I can't wait to get it back from the dipper. Man it is a shooter that gave me far less hassle than this thing I am shooting now. Grrrrr.

Post Thanks / Like

I went out this morning and I was correct. The arrows are still flying very nice to the target all the way to 40 yards. 40 is the max i can shoot in my yard and even then I am standing in the middle of the street lol. You look 5 times for cars then hurry up and shoot. I tweaked my sights horizontal gang adjustment a tad and I am hitting where I aim at all yardages.

Whats it mean when you have to have your centershot set so far out of whack to make it fly good? To look at it the arrow is terribly unsquare to the riser shelf but thats what it took to make this thing shoot like it should. It is a full 1/4" closer at the front than it is at the rear of the riser shelf. It's no wonder I have been having such a hard time. I would never have guessed by looking at this to ever set the centershot where it ended up being set at.
    Last edited by cmwr; 05-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep - looks awfully strange when at rest but that is where it tunes.
    If you measure from the bridge between the rest mount holes to the center of the arrow at rest - your probably around 13/16".?
    Once it is shooting where your happy just record all the measurements then throw the tape measure in the drawer and have fun shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

It has alot to do with the cams, and a little to do with form and consistancy. You may find that if you start doing some research on form, and start working it into your practice routine you may have to retune, for arrow flight porposes. You dont have to though, as long as your getting good flight. I personally had to back my bow down to 59 pounds to get the consistancy i wanted, even though it feels really really easy to draw, it makes a world of difference in the size of my groups. Went from pie plate with a few fliers outside of that, at 50 yards to baseball sized groups. It was amazing.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight