Thread: Straight , Helical or Offset?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Straight , Helical or Offset?

Couple mornings ago I found myself to be deep in a delima! Being the creature of habbit that I am, early in the mornings after I arrive at the office I spend some time eating my breakfast, drinking my coffee and checking out the new posts on the forum. However on this fine morning I was unable to view the forum because of technical problems...........so in a moment of weakness, I became a glutin for punishment and went over to AT..... Not to far into my journey I came accross a thread that was hosted by a true expert of broadhead tunning! To make a long story short he went on the say that in order to shoot fixed blade heads they have to be shot using helical or offset fletching. Well.................Ive been shooting mine using straight fletch longer than I can remember with no problems at all. I guess my opinion on this is that if your bow is tuned and the head matches your bow and shooting style it dosnt have to be shot using helical or offset fletching....................opinions?
    Last edited by Thermodude; 05-09-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot vanes with a slight right offset. My fobs come with a 2-3 degree helical.

Post Thanks / Like

Thermodude. I have my best luck with Golt Tip XT Hunters 400 29" with a Magnus 100 Buzzcut 4 blade and Blazers fletched on the AAE mini tool that puts like 6 degree right helical or a 3" AAE flethed again on the AAE tool. Also any Muzzy you care to put on.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it kinda makes sense that a helical or offset would get you better results. More spin imparted on the arrow would tighten your group and limit a broadhead's ability to steer the arrow... same reason a rifle's rifling spins a bullet, and the more twists/inch of barrel is more accurate down range.

I noticed that even switching to a 2* helical from my straight produced tighter groups. Feathers seemed to help over vanes as well. Either that or I'm just getting better!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% that a helical or off set fletch works well to stabilize flight, what I was getting at is that its not all in stone that it has to be that way. Ive shot helical and off set with good results, but for the last few years with the broadheads Im using straight fletch has worked just as well.........and when I say well I mean dead on with my field tips with perfect flight. This being done with short , high profile fletch.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Thermodude, if it works for you and you feel comfortable with the set up, sleep well. I also had the same issue "what's better" (Straight or Offset). After spending too much $ on blazers, quick-spins, AZ EZ fletch straight and offset inserts, plus hour in the back forty redneck testing. I finally gave in to what the experts were saying about broad-head flight and offset. I feel comfortable with AAE Max hunters and a right offset with an Easton Axis End-Fused @ 420g. The big difference for me is out after 50 yards. My groups are tighter with the offset. Saying that! It all relates to hunting styles. Here in N. AZ you need to be skillful and have the ability to hit that 60+ yard short at times depending on terrain. I think we all believe and strive to achieve the best when it comes right down to the hunt and harvest of any big game. My new issue is stay with Slick Trick 100g Mag or change to Steel Force 100g Phatheads. It's never ending....
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2014 Mathews Creed
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

You can probably get away with just straightfletching if, as you say, the arrows are spined very very close and the bow istuned just so so. The reasoning behind shooting offset or helical is that not everybody achieves that perfect tune or even know there is such a thing as tuning, A lot of people are still unaware that the broadheads must be aligned as perfectly as possible with the shaft. Not everybody works on their form till it's nearly perfect.

There is a point of no return when shooting helical, though. Get too much drag on the back end and groups can actually get larger at longer distances. There's always some balancing act.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver