Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why mechanicals?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why mechanicals?

Im curious about this subject, Ive read so many debats and arguments about this. What is the main reason for using mechanical broadheads? Ill be up front right away and say that I dont believe in them, but thats not what this thread is about. My opinion is mine and Im not going to try and bash someone for using them. I just know what I read on AT and hear at the archery shops. Whats the number one appeal?
    Last edited by Thermodude; 05-11-2012 at 06:18 AM.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

I believe part of it is they are advertised to fly like field points. Of course, this isn't true, but I think it works to sell them.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of people are attracted to the larger cutting diameter also. I know society is stuck on bigger is better, but I think that when you are trying to make a humane kill, you need to be careful to not get too big of a cutting diameter, that all you end up doing is deflecting your shot off bones. A bullet can break bones, but an arrow, not so much. How many places are there on an animal that you can put a 2 inch plus broad head through without hitting and possibly deflecting off of bone?
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

I think AS has it right, "they fly like my field points" sells a lot of mechanicals for those who have to pay to get their bow tuned, those guys who pick their bow a week before season opens. JMO
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I always swore off mechanicals, especially after helping my cousin track a buck he shot and lost the trail then I found it 200 yards past the last blood without a drop on the ground.

Last fall I decided if I was going to judge something that i'd better try it myself. After looking at all that was out there I went with the G5 T3 due to the blades being totally exposed. Took 3 deer with 2 going through major bone and they worked flawlessly. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using them for about 20 years now, I use my 3d set up for hunting I know they hit the same spot as my field points because I shoot them to see, where the hit,thats where the problem lays some people just screw them on because it said they fly like field points and some are better then other as far as flying and opening up and bringing down your game,the same can be said about fixed blades
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with pucket blood trailers shot my a deer with them said to myself these thing are great then the next deer I shot they didn't open went back to fixed blades until I came a cross the rocket mini blasters and never looked back

Shot placesment is still every thing fix blade or not or rifle how many people lose there game with a rifle is it the rifle or the shooter
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    I started out with pucket blood trailers shot my a deer with them said to myself these thing are great then the next deer I shot they didn't open went back to fixed blades until I came a cross the rocket mini blasters and never looked back

Shot placesment is still every thing fix blade or not or rifle how many people lose there game with a rifle is it the rifle or the shooter
    The one and only I ever used was way back in the day..........Punch Cutters! Ive gotta say, those were one of the worst heads that ever hit the market.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Mechanicals are all I have ever known, so that is what I go with. And so far I live by if it ain't broke ... don't fix it. Shot G5 T3 this past season and wow was I happy. I'm not saying I would never shoot a fixed blade, but when these heads are doing what they are, I have no reason to shoot something else. While I'm a mech shooter, I absolutely will not buy into the Rage craze or be majorly influenced by what others say I should be shooting. I'm smart enough to make the decisions for myself and respect those of others, minus the Rage shooters

Fixed blades are just as proven as the mechs, so really can't say there is a benefit to one over the other, it's all personal flavor I think.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

A hit it pretty well. They hit the same place as field points. Of course this is the WHY of the acceptsance of mechanicals in the first place. That was years ago. It was supposed to be a magical fix until some of their flaws started popping up. Fragile blades, deflections on quartering shots and loss of kinetic energy to open the blades. Rubber bands to retain them which I always found to be a royal PITA.

As time has passed more people are getting to see or read about some ofthe short comings of some designs. Also there has been an educating of the importance of bow/arrow tuning to the general public. Something some still don't know anything about or don't want to take the time to learn and do.

I guess they have their place, but not in my quiver. I take too much pride in being able to tune and taking the time to do so. Also to be considered is that because it takes energy tom open them up there needs to be more initial energy imparted to the arrow coming out of the bow. Well, I can't draw enough weight to muster that needed energy and wisely admit it to myself and anybody that asks. Therefore I have to, by necessity, shoot fixed (replaceable blade) heads out of respect for the animals I hunted.

For me there's one other aspect--- price. I am appalled at the prices most of these sell for and even more so the gullibility of people who would pay it. Only a couple years ago some were selling for $30 for a three pack when something like Wasp SST and Muzzys were selling for $25 for six. They both accomplish the same thing and for as much shooting at animals I do/did I just couldn't justify the cost of mechanicals. Take the Rage Titaniums for example. $80 for a pack of three? Who's kidding who?

On another note how about Lighted nocks? Guys will buy the cheapest arrows they can find and then pay $10 each for the cool looking lighted nock. I think people are somewhat stupid. I had a good coach years ago that taught me something. He said "The best shots you ever make will be the ones where you never see the arrow". In other words aim the bow and execute the shot. The arrow will be where the pin was when the bow went off.

OK, enough of my ranting.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver