Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why mechanicals?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    A hit it pretty well. They hit the same place as field points. Of course this is the WHY of the acceptsance of mechanicals in the first place. That was years ago. It was supposed to be a magical fix until some of their flaws started popping up. Fragile blades, deflections on quartering shots and loss of kinetic energy to open the blades. Rubber bands to retain them which I always found to be a royal PITA.

As time has passed more people are getting to see or read about some ofthe short comings of some designs. Also there has been an educating of the importance of bow/arrow tuning to the general public. Something some still don't know anything about or don't want to take the time to learn and do.

I guess they have their place, but not in my quiver. I take too much pride in being able to tune and taking the time to do so. Also to be considered is that because it takes energy tom open them up there needs to be more initial energy imparted to the arrow coming out of the bow. Well, I can't draw enough weight to muster that needed energy and wisely admit it to myself and anybody that asks. Therefore I have to, by necessity, shoot fixed (replaceable blade) heads out of respect for the animals I hunted.

For me there's one other aspect--- price. I am appalled at the prices most of these sell for and even more so the gullibility of people who would pay it. Only a couple years ago some were selling for $30 for a three pack when something like Wasp SST and Muzzys were selling for $25 for six. They both accomplish the same thing and for as much shooting at animals I do/did I just couldn't justify the cost of mechanicals. Take the Rage Titaniums for example. $80 for a pack of three? Who's kidding who?

On another note how about Lighted nocks? Guys will buy the cheapest arrows they can find and then pay $10 each for the cool looking lighted nock. I think people are somewhat stupid. I had a good coach years ago that taught me something. He said "The best shots you ever make will be the ones where you never see the arrow". In other words aim the bow and execute the shot. The arrow will be where the pin was when the bow went off.

OK, enough of my ranting.
    Alot of good in this........the basics and satisfaction of tuning your own bow, in order to achieve perfect flight. I hope that this art isnt lost in the " I gotta have it fast and now generation". As for the lighted nock thing thats going on.................Im really impressed with the new Fusion Zeon vanes, I fletched up ah dozen the other day and took them outside, they really gather alot of light in the mornings and late evenings. They will be on my arrows this fall!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thermo do you have a pic of those new vanes?
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lung Buster View Post
    Sure thing, Ill post them this evening when I get home.
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lung Buster View Post
    Posted over in the photo section!
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

I use Grim Reaper's for deer,also shoot ST's and Montecs.I like the larger cutting diameter they give me.As for tuning,I have seen alot of people on AT not tune for fixed heads as well,just adjusting their sights.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

i dont have a ton of experience, but anyone consider wind deflection to be an issue with some of the larger fixed blade heads?
    I like expandables for marginal shots that are to far back. Better chance of clipping the lungs. For some reason I dont miss deer to far forward, usually to far back. Just a thought
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Why risk the shot of your lifetime to something that (may) work. I take pleasure in tuning my bows to the place where the broadheads (Magnus 4 blade Buzzcuts). field points and bare shafts will all group to the same place at 20 yards. That said if I wanted a mechanical broadhead I wouldchoose the simplest design I could find. maybe the NAP Spitfire. As I am only pulling a 50lb bow I feel a good fixed blade cut on contact stuck in the right place is the only way to go. No broadhead will make up for poor shot placement, or as the instrictor said "make the first one count kid".

Post Thanks / Like

I wouln't say wind deflection. I'd use the term wind drift, which is probaly what you meant. If so, I'd say it depends on how far your hunting shots are. Under 30 yards it's going to take a pretty brisk wind to blow tem off course. I would say that if the bow isn't tuned well or you blow the hot and the arrow comes out of the bow ugly then those bigger blades are going to catch more air and can veer off course badly.

I learned a long time ago that vented blades can help with this, but a narrower cut head almost ensures good tunability and flight. It all just boils down to the surface area of the blades, alignment of the heads with the shaft and how well the bow is tuned. A head with a cutting width of 1 1/16" kills just as assuredly as a 2" width when put in the boiler. And usually that narrower head will be easier to tune, too.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

wind deflection came to mind because last year was my first year archery hunting, and on the first evening of the first day of the season; we had wind gusts of up to 40 mph, rain, and steady wind of at least 25mph.
    Being the first day of the season I couldnt miss it, so I went duck hunting in the morning (perfect ducky weather), and went out archery in the evening. 8 minutes before legal shooting time ended a large 8 pt walked up behind my treestand, I was getting ready to get out of the stand when I saw him.
    Missed the shot, not really due to wind, although it may have been a factor; but the low light ruined my shot, and I hit a limb that I didnt see. Anyway I always look back to that moment and wonder if the wind was to strong. With that said I wouldnt have made that shot with a mechanical or fixed.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

a overlooked aspect of them too is the sheer "potential" and "perception" of them. "potentially" all the advantages they have , at least from an advertising standpoint, make them at least to half the people that are interested in a new broadhead , psychologically certain that mechanicals are the way to go. obviously the vast majority of them work well on deer size game most of the time. once consumer confidence grows in a product that people "just have to have" or "becomes the next rage" ( no pun intended), then the consumer is at the mercy of the manufacturer and then they can charge whatever the market will bear (which is why many folks refuse to buy them). that in turn creates the perception of if it costs more it must be better which leads many folks into buying products like mechanicals because it makes them feel confident they own the very best they can buy or afford. on that thought this isnt declaring mechanicals inferior/superior , just explaining a different side of their success story.
    It doesnt surprise me that a many of mechanicals biggest fans are shooting >$1,000 "big 3" bows, or toting around a 45$ bottle of doe in heat .