Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to quiet a loud Onza

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to quiet a loud Onza

I would like to know how you guys have quiet Onzas. Timing makes no difference on my Onza III. I have adjusted it from perfect to advancing either cam and it makes no difference. It is very loud with almost any arrow. About the only time it is reasonable quiet is with A 670 Grain arrow on 50lbs. Right now it is 53lbs with a 370 grain arrow and it sounds like a 30-06 going off. I put the right length new Winners choice strings on it and still makes no difference. I have the regular cable guard not the TRG/SOS system. I have adjusted the string stop from touching to as much as 1/4" away and makes no difference.

This is my third set of limbs because the other two sets cracked, and the way the bow sounds on the shot, it won't be long until it breaks these too. ATA 33.75" and brace is 7". Cam lean does not look bad, and I see no more than normal wear on the strings or cables. It has 60 lb limbs on it.

Anyone got any ideas what might fix my problem?
    Last edited by markdenisr; 03-28-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the noise comming from? If it's from the string, try string silencers, if from rest, sight, something loose, correct that. It's more of a concern as to what is causing the limb failure. Oh, and welcome to the site.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. All my equipment is tight, no noise from there. It sounds like the string is hitting the string stop excessively hard along with a kind of dry fire sound. I can tell you, if I shoot an arrow at 5 grains per pound the people around me will run. I can stop an indoor tournament and people will ask me if I am alright.

I am going to try short stringing this bow like the author of this thread did and see what happens. That way I might be able to still get around 50lbs but have the limbs bottomed out and tight.

I am going to set the ATA from 33.75 from where it is now to around 33 or under a bit and report back later tonight to give my results.
    Last edited by markdenisr; 03-28-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Your ata is a 1/2 inch longer than specs I would not recommended short string it with the martin limbs I had Barnesdale limbs l wouldn't of trusted the martin limbs at the angle they were
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2012 Onza Xt in the making
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The ATA and brace need to be set with the limbs bottomed out... those specs will change (and should) when you let out the bolts to set your desired draw weight...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here is what I did today. I set the ATA to 33.25" with limbs bottomed out, even tiller, cam rotation is about as even as you can get it. It has 60lb limbs on it and with the tune that is on it now, it bottomed out at 56lbs. I used a 320 grain arrow at a draw of 27.5 and it is still way too loud. I took four turns off each limb and it moved it to 47lbs. Shot the same arrow and I could not tell any difference in the loud sound it makes. All equipment is tight and it has very little if any hand shock. I set the string stop a couple of different places and it made no difference.

It actually shoots good and I really like the way it holds, but the noise is way too much for me. It is not quiet by any means. Every few minutes on the range today, I would check to see if it broke the third set of limbs yet. So far they are OK, but i wouldn't bet they last long.

I responded to this thread because people were saying how quiet their Onzas were. I have heard dry fires that made less noise than this bow. I have been a Martin shooter all my life, but I might have to rethink my position on them. They sent me all the limbs at no charge and their customer service was super, but I simply can not stand the racket it makes.
    Last edited by markdenisr; 03-28-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

what all do u have on the strings and what material r the strings I have found that 8190 material is noisy on my bows where 452x and trophy r way quieter can we get a pic of this cannon
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se

Post Thanks / Like

The strings are Winner's Choice. I can't remember what material, but the factory strings I took off did the same thing.

000_0033.jpg

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Out of all the string materials we build with Trophy is the quietest.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

try and swap cables so that on your slide that the cable closest to the riser is far out and the cable towards u is closer just opposite of what u have now u might be gettin some string vibe on the cams where the cable goes by the draw mod make sure that the cables r not rubbin on mod also check so the cables r not rubbin on the sts cause this will cause noise too and add some string dampeners and limb dampeners like bowjax or limbsaver also u have serving where it is uneeded on the cable slide and this might cause prematuer wear to your slide here is a pic of all the silencers on one of my rigs pretty quite not the quietest but silent enough to kill.
    bows2 012.jpg
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se