Thread: Grim reaper broadheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grim reaper broadheads

Hey guys,
    Been a while since I've been on here. Got another boy added to the growing family, and that puts a dampner on my time on line.
    Anyway, I'm currently using x system broadheads, cant remember who makes them, but anyway its a fixed 2 blade, with 2 blades that come out as a mechanical. So its a hybrid. Shot a small deer at 10 yds, died with in eye sight maybe 60 yds away. Huge hole, no blood trail cause it was raining.
    So I love how it kills, but i had to change my rest, and tune and do a bunch of crazy stupid things to my bow to get them to group, and they never did group with my field tips. (i dont want help tuning my bow so try and keep those tips off the thread). I'm a hopeless tinkererererererer, and am thinking of switching to the new grim reaper 3 blade white tail special with a 2" cut. I want them to fly like my field tips no muss no fuss.
    My bow is a bowtech ( I know I know not a martin, long story behind it), 320gr arrow, going 275 fps, 55lbs roughly of kinetch energy last time I calculated it. ( I have super short t rex arms 26" draw, and shoot 54 lbs comfortably)
    Anyway all that long background to say do you think i have enough ke to get pass throughs?
    thanks for the advice.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

While a fixed blade would be a better choice for penetration, you should still have plenty of KE to get a pass through with a good mechanical. I've never tried the Grim Reapers, but have heard they do have good penetration. Pass throughs are nice for blood trailing, but as long as it's a good shot, not many animals will go out of sight before expiring, so I don't worry about it too much.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the advice. From what I've been reading they do seem to have good penetration. I always shoot for lungs and not heart, so unless I pull the shot there is less of chance to hit shoulder bone. I like a pass thru for tracking in case I do pull a bad shot. I practice a lot, and only take shots I believe I can make and that are ethical, but stuff happens and I like to be prepared for the worst.
    anyone else would like to chime in feel free.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-