Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archery Calculators

Post Thanks / Like

Default Archery Calculators

http://www.stickemarchery.com/sticke...lculators.aspx

Anyone know if the "field test" for speed is close to an accurate assessment to give you a ballpark figure?

Stickem has some really nice tools there, just wondering how accurate some of those assessments can be. I don't have all the tools to be able to measure everything exactly, but if something like this is close that would be able to leave me with an idea of what the bows are doing.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the auto calculator is pretty close if I put in my true draw length and not my AMO draw... I'll have to shoot some groups at 20 and 40 to see how close the field test chart is. I'll try and do that tonight or tomorrow.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't know how much I would trust that. I shot with my Bengal and with my Alien tonight

Bengal (65# peak measured at the factory - bottomed out): 11.25" drop

Alien (70# turned out 1.5 turns): 8.25" drop

==

While I don't know exactly what the bows are shooting, if I punch numbers into the calculator with a guess at weight on the string, I get around 290/300 respectively for the 2 bows. According to the field test 300fps would be about a 15.5" drop and 290 would be somewhere in between the 15.5 and 17.7"

--

I'm not obsessed with the speed, just curious to know for my own education.

Post Thanks / Like

Ihave used these calculators several times since the year 2000, when I shot for Pearson. Back then I did the shoot 20 & 40 chart.The one day I was havin a very good day of shooting(sub2" groups at 40)were about 16" lower than those at 20 yards. Using the chart that would calculate to about 294-295. The bow in question chrono'd 264 on three different chronographs.

This leads me to believe one of two things. Either the calculators are designed to make us feel good (ego thing) or the bows IBO ratings are greatly inflated. I'm inclined to think it's a bit of both.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I just need to put it up with the real technology and test it on a chrono. Gander Mtn near me has/had one ... heard someone shot it recently so I highly doubt it is still operational after that. A buddy had one but he moved to MI before I could check it out. I might revisit the thread on AT where the guy did a DIY coil chrono and built some software for it and tested it against his shop chrono.

Forgot to mention, I should have avoided doing this in the first place. There is a reason I don't shoot groups anymore if at all possible. Blew up an arrow. Had one come down right on another and break it off towards the tip of the shaft in the target.
    Last edited by droppixel; 05-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the word that explains it.

BENGAL NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Hutch

Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the #'s of a couple of my bow/arrow combo's and did the field test thing with a couple and the stickem sites calculations were all high.
    I have a chrono so I know what they really shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Calculator Accuracy

I had the Martin Dealer Chrono my 2011 exile, after he set it up. It came in at 285 fps. I tried the calculator listed in this post, that came in at 274 fps. I think that the calculator will get you in the ball park, but my guess is that once you factor all of the info into it...it still is a ballpark. Nothing is going to beat a true chrono.
    They are a useful tool though if you don't have a chrono handy. The online calculators should get you close enough for hunting purposes, at close range . The farther out you get, they less they will be usefull in the info.

Post Thanks / Like

On my current setup I chrono 250 and this calculator gives me 253. I use my OT2 "adjusted" IBO number.

I find with any of these calculators, with a particular bow, if I weight and check the actual specs I can adjust the IBO so the speed agrees with my chrono. Once done I use this adjusted IBO if I change DW, DL, Arrow weight, the calculator is pretty close to the actual chrono data.

I use both OT2 and AA with great satisfaction. If folks blindly input manufacturers IBO it's a crap shoot if the calculators work or not. As they say, garbage in, garbage out... There is a good chance the error is the IBO nuber, not the calculator.

I could care less about speed but I use this same method with DW, and arrow weight, looking at other calculations on unfamiliar set ups.
    KE sells Bows, Momentum kills Game
    2011 Silencer M-16
    2010 Bengal M-85
    1997 Jaguar M-63

Post Thanks / Like

with a chrono i got 292 with this calculator i get 299. i like this calculator lol
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight