Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which vanes!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which vanes!!!!!!!!!!

Ok here's the deal ive been shooting blazers quite awhile,everything hitting good,but i want pin point every time.but i used to shoot 4"dura vanes,still have some......Ok question my bohning jig will fletch blazers but with zero offset,but it will fletch duravanes with 3% or more.Im thinking of going back to the duravanes with max offset more spin better accuracy.
    So if given choice which way would you guys go!...

Post Thanks / Like

Both are good vanes, I shoot straight fletch and have no complaints as for accuracy. Ive shot Blazers for a long time and really like them. This year Im trying the Fusion Zeon vanes because I like how they gather light.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Will it not put an offset on the Blazers? I have a EZ fletch mini which puts a helical on a 2" vane or feather and had no issues putting blazers into it... if yours will do the same, you'll get better spin, and keep your FOC a little higher than with 4" vanes.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Another alternative is Duravane LP-400. They are a 4" low profile vane and weigh only 6.6 grains each, about 1 grain more than Blazers. Height profile is 3/8" (I think) so should alleviate fletch clearance problems. All the ones I ever used and checked were very consistent for weight. Durability is about the same as any other vane. I have some fletched on some GT UL 22 series arrows madeup for hunting. I don't hunt any more so they've been just sitting for almost 5 years. It's only three arrows as that's all I ever make up for hunting. If I need more I need to kick myself in the butt.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Will it not put an offset on the Blazers? I have a EZ fletch mini which puts a helical on a 2" vane or feather and had no issues putting blazers into it... if yours will do the same, you'll get better spin, and keep your FOC a little higher than with 4" vanes.
    Ya the one i have will only put a very not really noticeable offset on blazers as this jig is made for full size vanes,also confirmed by calling bohning about it.
    They do make jigs specially for blazers it's i dont want to buy one now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Another alternative is Duravane LP-400. They are a 4" low profile vane and weigh only 6.6 grains each, about 1 grain more than Blazers. Height profile is 3/8" (I think) so should alleviate fletch clearance problems. All the ones I ever used and checked were very consistent for weight. Durability is about the same as any other vane. I have some fletched on some GT UL 22 series arrows madeup for hunting. I don't hunt any more so they've been just sitting for almost 5 years. It's only three arrows as that's all I ever make up for hunting. If I need more I need to kick myself in the butt.
    Not having any clearance issues just i remember after the shot i could really see the arrow spin to the target blazers i dont.I might just fletch up a couple and do a comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

If it offsets 4 inch vanes at 3 degrees, then whatever fletch you put in it should be the same offset. The jig doesn't know how long the vane is, just what offset to use. I think Blazer recommends around a 3 degree offset. What I shoot is Blazers, and Predator vanes, and I doubt I have more than a 3-4 degree offset. They don't appear to spin as much as a longer vane, but I think it's an optical illusion. Pulling broadheads out of a target, they are "screwed in" just like when I shot a 4 inch fletch.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    If it offsets 4 inch vanes at 3 degrees, then whatever fletch you put in it should be the same offset. The jig doesn't know how long the vane is, just what offset to use. I think Blazer recommends around a 3 degree offset. What I shoot is Blazers, and Predator vanes, and I doubt I have more than a 3-4 degree offset. They don't appear to spin as much as a longer vane, but I think it's an optical illusion. Pulling broadheads out of a target, they are "screwed in" just like when I shot a 4 inch fletch.
    You would think that but because the blazers are so short they dont take full advantage of it.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use blazers on mine and have used 4' duravanes as well. I leaned toward the blazers more and more. Because I couldn't see much of a difference in the blazers or the 4". But here is something that might help you. I used the blazers in my test when I used the super shooter. No matter where or what distance or even what angle I shot the arrows they where all consistent. 6" groups or less, mostly less. I use a stationary rest not a drop away. In short range (10yards or less) the blazer started to spin in that short distance. It may not spin as much as the 4" but it was as accurate.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to argue the point, but what Blazers lack in length they supposedly make up for in height and stiffness. At least that's what the hype is. And just like EHunter says, the jig has no idea of how long the vane is. If it's set for 3* then all vanes or feathers are set at that. Optical illusions can really fool your brain.

For now, being as you have everything on hand I'd fletch a couple shafts, put on the broadheads and see what ya end up with. Prood is in the pudding, so to speak. You might end up pleasantly surprised.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver