Thread: changing let off on scepter v

Post Thanks / Like

Default changing let off on scepter v

I know it can be done but i am really confused on how. I have been out of archery for the last 10 years and just got a scepter v to replace my scepter 2. I like to shoot way more poundage in the valley than i am getting out of the newer scepter. i am used to holding 21 pounds in the center of the valley and all i can get at 55 pounds out of the scepter v is 14. draw is set at 27 inches. i shoot back tension and the extra poundage to me is a plus for execution of my shot. as for the bow i love the bow!!! the older scepter 2 was in my opinion one of the best bows ever. i shot many a 60 out of the bow. anyhow many thanks. also if i can decrease let off will the valley be really critical? i played with the draw stop and all but i got such a short valley it was scary. one other question on the cam where the inner cables hook up to the bow should the serving be seperating? where it wraps on the cam or i call it the powerside it is seperated and the inner strands are showing on the cam itself it dont look good to me.
    Last edited by jrnymanwv; 05-21-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You can try this. If you have the draw length set the way you want it then all you have to do is move the draw module to the nest longer setting. The only draw back to this is that you won't have a valley. It's wall or nothing, so to speak. See how this works and let us know. There are other options but it involves twisting/untwisting string/cables.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You can try this. If you have the draw length set the way you want it then all you have to do is move the draw module to the nest longer setting. The only draw back to this is that you won't have a valley. It's wall or nothing, so to speak. See how this works and let us know. There are other options but it involves twisting/untwisting string/cables.
    i did try this and the valley didnt feel like i wanted it. i was thinking of twisting in the main string to short string it

Post Thanks / Like

#1 welcome to the forum!

#2, Fisher is correct... with our shorter draw (yours, mine and Fishers lol) the only real way to get the lower let off is to go longer on the module and then shorten your draw with the draw stop... which shortens the valley quite a bit.

#3 The wear you see on your cables, if minor is normal. If it is excessive, you may have a couple of things going on... either there is an edge on the module at that point that may need slightly filed or sanded, or where you have your draw set is further than the flat cable stop on the mods and you are over-rotating and stressing the cables... put it on a draw board or have someone watch while you draw back to check!

Hope this helps!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    #1 welcome to the forum!

#2, Fisher is correct... with our shorter draw (yours, mine and Fishers lol) the only real way to get the lower let off is to go longer on the module and then shorten your draw with the draw stop... which shortens the valley quite a bit.

#3 The wear you see on your cables, if minor is normal. If it is excessive, you may have a couple of things going on... either there is an edge on the module at that point that may need slightly filed or sanded, or where you have your draw set is further than the flat cable stop on the mods and you are over-rotating and stressing the cables... put it on a draw board or have someone watch while you draw back to check!

Hope this helps!
    the draw stop is way in front when i figure out how to post a pic i will send some of them. the serving wrap is almost gone from the main string. i wish one could order cams set at 65% i would have paid extra for them. i am shooting the bow good but not as good if i shoot into the back harder. i just have to keep trying i guess. high let off is a great thing in the hunting aspect but to me not in target archery. i might drop joel a line and see if there is a way to get them. many thanks and in my opinion Martin still makes the finest bow out there.

Post Thanks / Like

O, something else you can try is untwisting the cables about 5 twists and add some to the string. I recently set up a Scepter V for myself and even after doing this, with the module set on the #1 position the draw length measured 27 1/4" on a draw board so I'm going to conclude that the bow draws longer than it's advertised.

By twisting the string and untwisting the cables it will retatd the cams, shorten the draw length, droip the peak weight, and smooth out the draw cycle a bit. It should reduce the letoff too, but how much I can't say. Of course this takes the bow away from it's factory specs, but I never worry about that anyway. I make my bows shootable for me and let th specs fall where they fall. Gotta say though that the bow is definitely a shooter.

As for calling Joel? Good luck. He's always available, but I'm almost 100% positive they don't make 65% modules fr the Nitro cams.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver