Thread: 2012 Limb Deflection #s

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2012 Limb Deflection #s

Just curious if anyone has this info. I'm pretty sure my Bengal has 60# limbs on it based on the inspection tag measuring out peak weight 64.4# while it was written in the range is 45-65. The deflection # on the limbs is 2HP - Just curious to see if that is the 60# number in the event I want to try to get 70# limbs for this bow.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I gather from Barry here:
    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Very good, elkslayer. Those would be the 4 layer limbs. Just like the 2011 limbs would by 5LP (Powertuff).
    The HP - High Powertuff - but the 2 is where I get lost. He said in a previous post the number gives poundage in a 5# increments and that a deflection code on one bow could be 45-60 for one and 55-70 for another based on geometry, so it is safe to assume that the Bengal's code could be different from the Cougar (example) for the 70# limbs and so on. I'm probably over thinking this a little but when I get it, I got it ... ya know?
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Dp, yes you are over thinking it just a bit, but it doesn't hurt to do so. Better than just sitting back and playing dumb.
    As I had said in previous posts limb deflection might not be the same on different bows to achieve a certain draw weight. The geometry of the riser, length of the bow, and cam has an affect on which limbs are needed.

In your case you have a 2012 Bengal, right? That has the Fury XT cam and I have no info on what deflection is needed to acieve a desired draw weight. Nothing to establish a baseline to work from---until now. With your 2HP limbs and the bow being marked 45-65 I'd say that 2HP is for 60# limbs on that bow model. One thing puzzles me though. Did you read it and type it correctly? Martin bows usually have a 15# range so it should read either 45-60 or 50-65.

How about checking the brace height and a2a. Make sure they are close. If those are 603 limbs then it's possible the cables are wrapped up a bit or the string is too long. This would make the poundage high as it appears to be. It's not real critical and can be corrected very easily to drop the weight to 60#. A couple twists removed from the cables and/or adding a half dozen to the string would get it closer to 60#. OK?

So now, let's just assume that 2HP is for 60#. If you want to convert to 70# all you need to do is get 4HP limbs and you'd be all set. Or, if you leave the bow as it is (string & cable lengths) you could get 3HP limbs and should get 69.4#. Or if you're really anal about it you could get 4LP limbs and should be right at 71.4#.

Do you get it now? In other words there can be lots of options to play around with. Pertsonally I'm not real anal about draw weight. There isn't anything walking the planet that will react any differently to 64# as compared to 70#. To me draw weight is just a number and performance differences are in our heads. But the choice is yours. Whatever you decide we'll be willing to help you with it.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Hahah good post! Yeah, the sticker was all written in by hand. There isn't a bow number on it either, the weight and string lengths are hand written - 45-65# is marked for weight and the label on the box when it came said the same. The 45-65 is what threw me off because I was under the impression that they only had 50-60-70# limbs - so mine are 60# and they draw heavier - which is fine, I just like to know for my own piece of mind until I get a draw board w/ scale built
    REAL AVID Field Staff