Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retention bolts for limb bolts-Are they necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retention bolts for limb bolts-Are they necessary?

I've had other bows that had small bolts that are designed to keep the limb bolts from backing out. There's no such small bolts on my Scepter V. The previous owner of my Shadowcat had placed nylon bolts in the threaded holes in the riser that made contact with the limb bolts in order to keep the bolts from backing out, I guess.

My question is, are these retaining bolts necessary or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosII View Post
    I've had other bows that had small bolts that are designed to keep the limb bolts from backing out. There's no such small bolts on my Scepter V. The previous owner of my Shadowcat had placed nylon bolts in the threaded holes in the riser that made contact with the limb bolts in order to keep the bolts from backing out, I guess.

My question is, are these retaining bolts necessary or not?

Necessary? That can be debated.

Can they move. Yep! Will they move?

Do I lock them down with a set screw. Yes! 100% of them.

Post Thanks / Like

They are only necessary if a bow shows a tendency for the limb bolts to back out due to vibration. Are they an absolute must? Not really. It depends on what your bow does. I use the ones with a brass tip as they work better than those with nylon, but I don't use them on every bow.
    Last edited by bfisher; 05-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had them on my Martins and never had needed them..If bolts tend to back out ,,I guess a guy could use a little blue loc tite....

Post Thanks / Like

i would say no,but you never know..............

Post Thanks / Like

At least if you don't use max. pounds, you should put marks on your limb bolts so you can follow if they keep their position or not. If you use max. pounds, it is of course easy to observe by occasionally turning the bolts if they are fully screwed in or not. I also have a feeling (not sure though) that there is less tendency to creep if the limb bolts are fully screwed in.

I have an Onza 3 that I have set to 56 pounds and the limb bolts have the tendency to back out when shooting if the retention bolts are not installed. So I use the retention bolts with a nylon tip (I don't quite understand Bfisher's point about brass tipped bolts - I have had zero problems with nylon tips and they won't ruin the threads of the limb bolts).

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone take a picture of these bolts and where they go? I think my limb bolt is backing out a bit after shooting. It's not alot but I'd like to stop that.
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

Post Thanks / Like

I've already posted pics. It was probably a couple years ago. I'll see if I still have the pics on my othe laptop.

Phantonza, the reeason I say brass tips is because they can be tightened down tighter and hold better. Depending on how much vibration gets into the riser the nylon tips don't hold as well because the nylon compresses. There is a thread about this, too. I believe it's the same thread as the pics are on. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the thread is entitled "Why Do Limb Bolts Back Out" dated 3/31/11. The pics are on page 2. The thread has some other suggestions, too, such as a lead bead inserted into the barrle nut and a regular set screw tightened down. The lead bead keeps the set screw from mashing the threads on the limb bolt.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default .177 pellet

A .177 pellet dropped in the hole before the setscrew works well. I'm sure there is a size of shot (maybe BB) that would work even better. Surely no chance of damaging the limb bolt --- like if you use nothing.

Best of luck to you.