Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: got bad news

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure hope it all works out for you polaris754.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will be surprised if you do get cut I had it in the winter of 1998 and shoot the ibo world indoor in the spring of 1999
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I had rotator cuff surgery Feb of 2011. My doctor first told me the damage was so severe that he didn't know if he could repair it. And if so I could never shoot my bow or weight train anymore.After the surgery the pain was bad and the therapy was painful, but after 4 months of rehab therapy I started feeling better and the doctor told me I could start weight training very light.after a couple months he said I could try shooting my bow. I reduced the weight to 50lbs and before long I was back up to 70lbs.Was bow hunting in Sept.

I type all of this to let you know not to give up,I was very depressed to begin with but determination and great rehab worked for me.Hand in there.
    WHEW,now I am through.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there Polaris. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. You never know, this might turn out to be nothing more than a speed bump for you. Wishing you the best, Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hutch~n~son archery View Post
    sure hope it all works out for you polaris754.

Hutch
    x2

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had shoulder surgery in September of 2009. My Labrium was torn from 9:00 to 3:00 across the top, I had bone spurs, Bercitus and a ton of scare tissue that was all repaired or removed. Post Op, I spent 7 weeks with my arm straped to my side and 5 months on the recovery train. After the surgery keep the ice going and stay with the Physical Therapy. PT was key for me. I am a lineman for a communications company and I to love to bow hunt. I let the therapist know what I was looking to continue to do and they gave me some stuff to do that would condition my shoulder accordingly. If your PT is not really working your shoulder like you think should be done, get a different one. Again, ICE and PT.
    One other tip, sleep with a pillow under the side of your body that you have the surgery on so that you are at a 45 degree angle. This keeps the blood flow at bay and helps with the swelling.

Like the rest have said, keep the possitive attitude (it's hard when your on the couch and cant scratch your butt) and work hard on the PT. Good luck. Let us know who your doing.
    "When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." -Fred Bear

2012 Martin Cougar FC, Fury XT cam
    CE PileDriver arrow, 535 grains
    Speed: unknown

Post Thanks / Like

k seen doc today ,said not a problem cut both arms off ,and i will be good to go !!!!! not to kwel with this cutting stuff,really now looks like the knifes the answer .didnt like that .guess this years out from what docs sayin , oh well , he says full recovery !!!! wish had better answer , cant pull bow , AND REALLY DONT WANT A CROSS BOW, gonna do it july 15`

Post Thanks / Like

Polaris, the bad news is that surgery seems to be a must. The good news is a full recovery is likely. It's not the end of the world, at least for now.

I was in s imilar situation about 5 years ago. The sort version is that I came down with a muscle ailment that gave me extreme pain in the left shoulder, my bowarm side. In a matter of a month I lost so much strength I couldn't lift a 5# bow. I went from shooting 55# regularly to not being able to roll over 40#. At the time I had a brand new ITB Scepter III. Long story short I ended up with a cervical laminectomy with fusion in the neck, but the muscle never came back fully.

I spent four months shooting a Genisis set at 15# and only 15 yards. I finally graduated to my 2007 Pantera (55#) turned down to 27#. I couldn't hunt that year and the next year I was at a bare 35# minimum. Being an ethical guy I scrubbed hunting that year (2008). 2009 rolled around and I was fianlly able to draw 47#, but controlled 42# much better. Guess what? The hunting fire had burned out. I thought I'd miss it terribly, but I didn't for some reason. Maybe it was just time after bowhunting only for some 35 years.

Yeah, I could have gotten a crossbow, too, and could get any Ten Point my heart desires at no cost. But that would seem like surrendering which isn't part of my vocabulary.

Today I can roll over about 50#, but the shoulder still bothers me so I fluctuate between 44# and 47#. I just shoot a very light arrow to compensate for any speed loss. It's surprising how fast these bows can shoot a 230 grain arrow. Still popping about 270 fps for 3D and never have trouble pulling arrows from those lousy McKenzie targets. Fortunately I've never had any bounce off either, LOL.

Sometimes life isn't fair, but we just have to evolve with it and move on. Where I used to spend a lot of time shooting I've had to cut down some, but spend a lot of time coaching people and helping youngsters get into and progress with the sport. I find this about as satisfying as shooting.

Whatever your outcome I wish you the best.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver