Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead test

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broadhead test

Well, I finally broke down and ordered some Swackers. Have had several people tell me they love them, so I thought I'd give them a try. Now, I've decided to take one of each broadhead I have, and do some penetration tests. Shuttle T-Locks, Slick Tricks, Rage, Wasp Bullets, Thunderhead, and Swacker. Going to put them all through gelatin, then hide and bone in front of gelatin. Figured to do a good test, might as well use a cow shoulder for the bone. Got plenty of them around here. Might take me a couple weeks to get everything done, but I'll post results when I get some.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Well, I finally broke down and ordered some Swackers. Have had several people tell me they love them, so I thought I'd give them a try. Now, I've decided to take one of each broadhead I have, and do some penetration tests. Shuttle T-Locks, Slick Tricks, Rage, Wasp Bullets, Thunderhead, and Swacker. Going to put them all through gelatin, then hide and bone in front of gelatin. Figured to do a good test, might as well use a cow shoulder for the bone. Got plenty of them around here. Might take me a couple weeks to get everything done, but I'll post results when I get some.
    Through a phat head in there for good measure!!
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good i am interested in what you find!
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

CK, sounds good can't wait for you report. Did the same with Slick Trick Mag 100g, Razo Trick 100g, Phat Heads 100g and G5 Montec 100g. Short but to the point is that the Slick Trick Razor flew the best for me and the G5 hand best penatration. In saying that, I would only use the G5 Montec out to 40(-) yards, would use any of the other (3) heads from 20-80 yards. I want a cut on contact so will using the Slick Trick Razor 100g as the price is also right. Good Luck...
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Thermo, I would, but I'm done buying broadheads. lol The only reason I went ahead and got the swackers was you can get them on a special. 6 heads for $41 including shipping. Got three of the 1 3/4 cut, and three of the 2" cut. Going to use the 2" cut Swackers, 2 blade Rage, and all heads will be 100 grain. Probably throw in a Magnus Buzzcut as well. Just remembered I have a few. Gonna have to gather quite a few shoulders it looks like. lol
    Last edited by Ehunter; 06-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Also Just Bought Swhackers

Ehunter I can't believe it!... I just read your post. I did the same thing! I saw the special that Swhacker is running on their website, and I got the (2-for -1 ) deal myself. I stuck with the 1 3/4" cut. they do look pretty impressive. I am very interested to see how your test comes out. If it is half as good as the youtube videos.......we are both in real good shape!!! good luck. i will keep my eye out for the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to steal anyone's thunder or suggest you don't do your own testing if that's what you want to do, but there have been several BH tests on AT over the past year. One poster, who goes by whitey375, has done quite a few and as I recall has tested the BHs you're referring to and posted his results. You might want to check them out - it could save you some time and "wasted" BHs.
    08/12 Martin Firecat Pro-X (29" DL, 66# DW), Nitro 3 cams, home-made torque reducing cable guard rod, new VEMs, DS Advantage/HHA Pro-5519 front sight, No-Peep Sight Eliminator, Limb-Driver arrow rest, B-Stinger stabilizer, custom lower & upper STS with offset stops, G5 Head-Loc quiver on custom mounting bracket. Gold Tip Velocity XT300 arrows with Bi-Delta 2.5" Sharkstooth vanes and Grizzly single-bevel broadheads, 498 grains at 262 fps (22% FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

alden, what shape were your Swhackers in when you got them? I'm not badmouthing Swhacker at all, and have been in contact with them about the heads I received, and they have done their best to take care of me and I appreciate that. That being said, when mine arrived, there were so dull they couldn't have cut butter. Burrs on the blades from being stamped out of sheet metal, both the cutting and trailing edges. It took 45 or so minutes, and a medium and fine stone to get them into shooting shape. They have assured me that they are looking into the problem, and will have it resolved promptly. I have to say this, they responded to my reply on their "satisfaction questionaire" within 24 hours, and have contacted me twice, offering to exchange the heads, or whatever I want to do. They really seem to be taking this seriously, and that's a good sign to me. They seem like a stand-up company, and we need more of those around.

That being said, I am still in the process of shoulder collecting, and plan on doing the testing this coming weekend. I'll post results afterwards. I'm also throwing in a Tru-Fire T1 broadhead, and their rep for this area wants to see how they compare.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Swhacker Broadheads

Ehunter; I haven't even taken mine out of the package yet. I guess I will have to check them tonight. I will get back to you on whether they are sharp or not. thanks for the heads up!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Swhacker Broadhead Sharpness

Ehunter: I checked my Swhackers last night. one was really sharp. The other I had already put the shrink band on, just to see how it went on, so I haven't taken it off to check. I did check all of the smaller outside blades, and they seemed ok. You may have just got a bad batch.
    I am glad to hear that they are taking care of you. I have to be honest, they closer I look at these broadheads, the more I like them. The blades are thick, and seem well made. I like the design. I think they are going to work well. It looks to me that once the larger blade deploys, it has the support of the whole back of the blade, and the broadhead frame. I don't see them breaking very easily.
    I can't wait to see how your test goes.....keep us posted!!! thanks!