Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broadhead test

Post Thanks / Like

Magnus stingers are good BH,i like 4 blade as few deer i shot with 2 blade left no blood trails,but did the job.........

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Swhacker

Ehunter: those results look pretty bad for the Swhacker. Could you elaborate a little on exactly what you shot the broad heads into. Was it just cow ribs? or an actual shoulder.
    Also how far did the mechanicals penetrate. Thanks!
    I hate to consider using a broadhead, if it isn't going to work on a Deer!!, so any extra info would be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

alden,
    All of the broadheads were shot into cow ribs approximately 5/8ths of an inch thick. Right behind the rib was a Block target. I'm not going to pretend that every shot was perfectly square with the rib and arrow contact. I doubt like hell anyone is a good enough hunter to position a deer perfectly square on broadside before shooting. lol I did try to keep it as straight of a shot as I could though. Basically your typical broadside hunting shot. The Swhacker did penetrate about 7-8 inches into the Block target after breaking the rib. However, the "cutter blades" were bent so badly on both sides, I don't think the main blades ever got the chance to open. I can guarantee one side didn't. The cutter blade actually bent around the ferrule on that side. The entire ferrule bent so badly that I find it hard to believe the other blade opened either. Would it have killed a deer? Yes. Would I ever recommend anyone to shoot it, No. While it would have killed a deer, it would have basically been like shooting a deer with a field point. Dead deer eventually, but what a nightmare of a tracking job.
    The Shuttle T Lock and Magnus are the only two I shot through the shoulder bones, as they held up to the rib bones in very good shape. Both had slightly damaged and dulled blades , but both would have taken down an animal faster after going through ribs and shoulder, than the Swhacker after hitting just ribs. Even though I am kinda fanatical about having sharp blades, I can guarantee that both the T Lock, and the Buzzcut would take down a deer or elk after the test without being resharpened. That's what impressed me so much. Both also fly VERY well with a properly tuned bow. Both fly pretty darn well out of a moderatley tuned bow.
    The Rage had about the same penetration as the Swhacker, but it was fully deployed inside the target. The blades were badly dulled, and bent beyond repair, but it would have resulted in a dead deer and a reasonable tracking job.
    Most deer are about 14 inches thick broadside, so the mechanicals should have penetrated enough to get both lungs. The top 5 fixed blades should have gotten pass throughs, or at least a guaranteed double lung. The Slick Trick (one of my favorites) was a true let down. I'd have never guessed it would have gotten stopped by the rib bone like it did. I have shot 2 big bucks with the ST's, and gotten complete pass throughs in the chest with both shots.
    The big thing to remember is, cow ribs are about the same thickness as a deer shoulder. Deer ribs are roughly 1/2 as thick as a cow rib. That being said, it's most likely that ALL of the heads tested would have gotten a kill shot on a deer. I was doing the test to see what head to take on a moose hunt this Oct. Big cow parts just seemed to be the closest thing to moose parts I was going to find around here in Kansas. lol
    Last edited by Ehunter; 06-26-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Swhacker Test

Ehunter: thanks for the reply. It really makes you think twice about all of the possitive videos out there for the Swhacker.
    I am basically a Whitetail Hunter so I don't need a broadhead strong enough to Elk, or Moose hunt. I think considering all things, if the broadhead opens, and I get a pass through, even if it is destroyed...I will not be completely dissappointed. That being said I would have thought the swhacker was stronger than that.
    I have 6 of the 1 3/4" broadheads, I am going to come up with a way to test them, to make sure that they will open, and cut..........or I will end up with another batch of Mechanicals that I can't use.
    Thermodude........see you thought you were old fashioned, and stubborn.....you are looking like the smart one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aldenjj View Post
    Ehunter: thanks for the reply. It really makes you think twice about all of the possitive videos out there for the Swhacker.
    I am basically a Whitetail Hunter so I don't need a broadhead strong enough to Elk, or Moose hunt. I think considering all things, if the broadhead opens, and I get a pass through, even if it is destroyed...I will not be completely dissappointed. That being said I would have thought the swhacker was stronger than that.
    I have 6 of the 1 3/4" broadheads, I am going to come up with a way to test them, to make sure that they will open, and cut..........or I will end up with another batch of Mechanicals that I can't use.
    Thermodude........see you thought you were old fashioned, and stubborn.....you are looking like the smart one!
    With all do respect, every year at the ATA show a new batch of broadheads are introduced.........."and the wheel gets invented again"! Im going to stick with my claim that a quality fixed blade head works everytime, it has no other choice. Find one thats built well and flys as it should and you are pretty much set for life..............you shoot the head, head goes through deer, deer falls over..............end of story. Im sold on Phatheads, they fly great for me and they are the strongest head Ive used so far.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    With all do respect, every year at the ATA show a new batch of broadheads are introduced.........."and the wheel gets invented again"! Im going to stick with my claim that a quality fixed blade head works everytime, it has no other choice. Find one thats built well and flys as it should and you are pretty much set for life..............you shoot the head, head goes through deer, deer falls over..............end of story. Im sold on Phatheads, they fly great for me and they are the strongest head Ive used so far.
    Thats my thought too.!

I'm a huge fan of the Magnus Buzzcuts but if I did have to switch - Phathead

Post Thanks / Like

I recently found some broadheads on fleabay. Made by Saunders Innovations. They are a 1 1/8 cut, fixed blade, cut on contact, 4 blade. All 4 blades are .40 Alot like the Phathead, but with longer bleeder blades. Thinking about trying them on one of the leftover ribs. I like the idea of not downsizing the blade thickness for the "bleeder blades". I was fairly impressed by the looks and design, and the price was right at $25 for 3 heads. I think they call them the "BloodShot". They also have a mechanical that looks pretty much like a copy of the "meatseeker" from Rocket.
    What the hell, might as well go ahead and test it tonight. lol
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like ah plan, Im looking forward to seeing the results. One of the reasons Phatheads are my choice was from my hunt last Oct. The buck I took field dressed 180lbs so on hoof he was pretty heavy. He was quatering away at 37 yards, I caught him at the back rib which it broke, the arrow passed through breaking an offside rib then it went through the shoulder blade and stuck in the ground. Thats pretty awsome in my book........the blades were not hurt but the bleeders were dull, I replaced those and put the edge back on the main blades.........good to go!
    Last edited by Thermodude; 06-27-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just gave the BloodShot head a try. Rather than a rib, I just went for another shoulder shot. It surpassed ALL of the other heads in penetration getting a full 17 inches. Sadly, the main blade broke in half, and half of it was gone. The other half, as well as the bleeder blades, did hold together though. I truly believe that had it been as thick of a main blade as the Phathead, it would have remained intact completely. Not great marks for durability, but very impressive for penetration, and blade sharpness retention. What wasn't broken off was still very sharp. The tip also showed no signs of curling. I would have to rank this as the #4 head tested overall. The blades can be replaced, so the head isn't a total loss. Since the Phathead has twice as thick of a main blade, I would have to imagine it would place at the very top had it been one of the heads I had to test. Since I'm out about $75 in broadheads, I'm done testing. lol

Saunders.JPG
    Last edited by Ehunter; 06-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Swhacker Broadhead Test

Guys: I did a quick test on one of my swackers. Ehunter got me thinking, so I wanted to do a preliminary test. It functioned actually better than I had thought, after seeing the results for Ehunters test.
    I took some pictures and I am going to test the same head some more this week. After I do all of the tests I will post all of the results and pictures.
    I think that it is most likely a pretty good mechanical, but nowheres as tough as Swhacker would have you believe. My guess so far..... is that it will work just fine on deer, but not on some of the bigger game.
    When I get done testing the broadhead I will start a new post.
    I am not trying to change anyones mind on this particular broadhead...but now I am really curious. I want to see how far I can push it without total failure like "E" had.
    My first test was using layers of 1/8" Luan wrapped in an old sweat shirt, a layer of cardboard, then a layer of1/8" masonite board, followed by tight packed layers of cardboard, then Dow 3" foam board wrapped in a wool blanket. The first three layers were angled, and seperated by 2".
    Next test will be something harder and tougher...not sure what yet...stilll thinking it through.