Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Sight Pin setting

  1. #21
    Member dugout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland's Famous Eastern Shore
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daiwateampenn View Post
    i had short draw length at 27. My string wouldnt touch my nose. Infact i shot 15yard - 20yard just off the top pin. The gap just like the first n 2nd pin gap. So, nt so bad.
    Thanks all for the advice n comment. Nt only me cant sight in for shorter range huh...
    No, you are not the only one. The most difficult shots, sometimes, are the two, three, and four yard shot from a tree stand. This can mess you up if it has not been practiced.
    KE sells Bows, Momentum kills Game
    2011 Silencer M-16
    2010 Bengal M-85
    1997 Jaguar M-63

  2. #22
    String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gilmanton, New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dugout View Post
    No, you are not the only one. The most difficult shots, sometimes, are the two, three, and four yard shot from a tree stand. This can mess you up if it has not been practiced.
    How true. I have a 3d range 45 min from me. My son and I did very well till the last 3 targets. 5,4,3 yard shots. Point blank is a hard shot. Have to agree dugout those shots tend to stump the shooter.



    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member daiwateampenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miri, Borneo
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    How true. I have a 3d range 45 min from me. My son and I did very well till the last 3 targets. 5,4,3 yard shots. Point blank is a hard shot. Have to agree dugout those shots tend to stump the shooter

    Hutch
    in reality, big game can be as close as any range coz itd move ard.
    have to practice more frequent shorter range for hunting instead.

  4. #24
    Member dugout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Maryland's Famous Eastern Shore
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just practise with a Hor. Line and record your holds for all the ranges. A little cheat sheet tape inside your to limb is valuable to record your holds. Your 3 yard "pin" may be the same as your 40 yard pin. I start at 3 yards and work out to 30 yards.
    It can look like this with the first number yards, second number pin and third number POI:
    3 3 -1"
    5 1 0
    10 1 +1
    15 1 +1
    20 1 0
    22 1 -1
    24 1 -5
    26 2 +5
    28 2 +3
    29 2 +1
    30 2 0
    Something like that...
    I'm back to one fixed pin at 20 yard zero. I find my mind is much more efficient with holds rather than multiple pins, at my ranges, as I always seem to be between pins and holding anyway. The last 30 deer, or so, were taken at an average of 16 yards, the shortest shot being two yards and the longest 24 yards. I hunt from 16' feet above ground level and distances are taken from the tree at ground level.
    KE sells Bows, Momentum kills Game
    2011 Silencer M-16
    2010 Bengal M-85
    1997 Jaguar M-63

  5. #25
    Senior Member daiwateampenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miri, Borneo
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dugout View Post
    Just practise with a Hor. Line and record your holds for all the ranges. A little cheat sheet tape inside your to limb is valuable to record your holds. Your 3 yard "pin" may be the same as your 40 yard pin. I start at 3 yards and work out to 30 yards.
    It can look like this with the first number yards, second number pin and third number POI:
    3 3 -1"
    5 1 0
    10 1 +1
    15 1 +1
    20 1 0
    22 1 -1
    24 1 -5
    26 2 +5
    28 2 +3
    29 2 +1
    30 2 0
    Something like that...
    I'm back to one fixed pin at 20 yard zero. I find my mind is much more efficient with holds rather than multiple pins, at my ranges, as I always seem to be between pins and holding anyway. The last 30 deer, or so, were taken at an average of 16 yards, the shortest shot being two yards and the longest 24 yards. I hunt from 16' feet above ground level and distances are taken from the tree at ground level.
    Wow learned something new. So differ archer haf their own reference number right.? So all i need to do nw is trial n error on target n write down the number for further use. Thanks for tis. At least a good starting point for me.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I shoot fingers and sightless, might I recomend you give that a try (sightless I mean), those point blank shots will feel much more natural after a bit of practice. Not that I want to start a whole debate but this is a good example of people relying too much on gadgets IMO.

    Frankly, having shot with a sight before, I found it rather easy (with practice of course) to have just one pin and adjust height of your aim for the necessary yardage + or-.

    Cheers!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •