Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin Archery in 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, closer picture... this is a piece i wan it so bad....

2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The IBO for the XT cam was stated as 320-330 for 2012. For 2013 it's 315 which is a more realistic figure as few people could even get close to 320 let alone
    330. Frankly I would rather see the lower figure that is more honest rather than some high number that can't be achieved. Personally I'd like to see the ATA step in and do away with the IBO specs as they are. I'd rather see them require bows to be rated at specs that represent the average archer; 60#, 28" draw, and 350 grain arrow. That isn't going to happen any time soon though because nobody is going to accept lower speeds. Many are still wishing and hoping for 400 fps to be reached. They can't fathom dropping down to something closer to 300 again---God forbid we go backwards.
    So with this, I can't see why it would be rated that (320-330) if all the sudden it is down to 315 the following year. I would like to think that at some point 320-330 was achieved with this cam on whichever bow it is being applied to other wise why would it be marked as such. Is 330 realistic, probably not - but I'd like to think 320-325 within IBO standards would be possible after you do all your deductions in weight/arrow/draw/etc. Not to say that 315 isn't anything to shake a stick at. I guess what I'm trying to get at is don't falsely advertise the speeds if it isn't realistic. I think a lot of people figure that out and then are turned off in one way or another.
    Last edited by droppixel; 10-02-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the drop in IBO rating is due to the split limbs instead of single limbs... idk, just something that crossed my mind.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I wonder if the drop in IBO rating is due to the split limbs instead of single limbs... idk, just something that crossed my mind.
    I wouldn't swear to it, but that could be it. But if that's the reason and the bow ends up more quiet and more reliable as far as limbs go then it would be a nice tradeoff. In all honesty I've only ever had one bow that was fast and that was my first Martin bow, a 2004 Slayr. With Nitrous B cams, rated at 325 fps, set at 53#, 57.5" draw, shooting a 275gr (5.2 gr/lb) arrow it did an honest 308fps. Then shortened down to 27", closer to my optimum draw length, it did 299fps. Since then I've had various new bows rated at 335fps that shoot around 270fps. Go figure. I shoot all my bows at 5 gr/lb so the only computing I have to account for is the difference in draw length from 30" down to my now 26 3/4".
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default retro fit prior models..........split limbs

wouldn't it be great if the prior year models could be retrofitted with the split limbs...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I don't think so. I am pretty sure they were just overrated with speeds obtained only under test conditions and not normal setups.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I really like my new Bengal Pro but the new Nemisis looks sweet. Why does it all have to change just one season after I purchase something....man this could easily turn into an addiction.
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andy_camping View Post
    Wow, I really like my new Bengal Pro but the new Nemisis looks sweet. Why does it all have to change just one season after I purchase something....man this could easily turn into an addiction.
    As a shooter of compound bows for almost 40 years and about 30 new bows this is not something I'd like to discuss.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    As a shooter of compound bows for almost 40 years and about 30 new bows this is not something I'd like to discuss.
    HAHA I am feeling the same, I'm excited to see what the rest of the lineup looks like and could see myself falling in love with a new model and would need to make a decision if I should move from the Bengal to a 2013 or see what my other options may be.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Alien the most, too bad that I'm not on the market for a new compound. And am curious about the Blade - the quad limbs, the lower IBO speed and "the best value of the year" make me think that it's made a little more to the west of Walla Walla... Poe Lang, Taiwan for example.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows