Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Martin Archery in 2013

Post Thanks / Like

New 2014 bow. Rytera Alien Light Speed. Cross the Warthog and the Alien X. Shave the weight with split limbs and cut some riser weight to reach bare weight of 3.2 lb and IBO 355. I love to dream. People would be saying didn't Mathews used to make a light bow -- I think it was called Heli or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Rat View Post
    New 2014 bow. Rytera Alien Light Speed. Cross the Warthog and the Alien X. Shave the weight with split limbs and cut some riser weight to reach bare weight of 3.2 lb and IBO 355. I love to dream. People would be saying didn't Mathews used to make a light bow -- I think it was called Heli or something like that.
    I honestly feel Martin has all the tools to make this happen and isn't really that BIG of a dream will they do it? probably not but if they did it would give them fanboys a jaw drop for sure.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look back 10 years or better, Martin had bows shooting 310-plus. If I remember right 2002 Rage with fury cams was hitting I.B.O of 313 fps and the Cougar was hitting I.B.O of 315fps. Now that was in 2002, so they can do what most of the companies are doing. But speed isn't everything. I know some believe that it is. But accuracy and quietness is one of the main things I buy a bow for. I also don't believe that every company puts out totally accurate I.B.O speeds. They want you to think the bow is that fast. My Motto is I will believe it when I see it. Frankly I haven't seen to many doing what they say they can do.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

The speed/brace height/shootability issue is paramount to me. I understand that there are companies out there with faster bows in their lineup, but at what cost?

A smaller brace height not only makes a bow more unforgiving, but what about arm clearance? If I'm using a bow to hunt, and am wearing a jacket or something I don't want the string to slap my jacket and make the shot go wide and a bunch of noise. I actually saw an episode of Bow Madness where the guy slapped his jacket with the string, he was pretty upset!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Archery shops still sell arm guards.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Archery shops still sell arm guards.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't trust my accuracy if the string would hit my arm on the shot.

Also string stops help in preventing the slap with low brace height bows.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! This thread got some momentum. Like it or not; I have an Alpine Verdict that is a 6.25 Brace at 31.5ATA and the catalog put it at 328. I will tell ya that it flat get out their fast with a 430g arrow. Much faster than my Fire Cat 400, the Verdict draw is smooth as a baby's but with the Velocitec Cam "30 and split Limbs. The Fire Cat was @ 278-283 with 430g arrow and 8125G strings. Currently have trophy on here and it slowed her down some. Had the FC tuned just right and have a Sanders Hyper Slide on her. I haven't got the verdict on a Chrono yet but would guess some were around 285-90fps (+/-) with 430g arrow 8190 strings. I think you need speed but not at the price for comfort also. A good balance between them is best. I've shot hell of a lot of bows over the years and most are different. The one brand of bows the last few years that have been similar is Martin (FC 400/Cougar/Silencer). "Good bows for a balance of speed and comfort". I'm not sold on the 2013 line-up. Just picked up a F1 Fire Ball 34 ATA listed @ 337 w/a 6.12 brace, can't wait to see what this one will do.
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another idea -- Seeker 365 with redesigned hybrix cams that can shoot IBO 365 ft/s. Then offer the option of smooth mods which is basically the current cams. Give PSE a run for their money.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an article on AT by Terry Martin that kinda gives their take on this.
    If I find it again I'll post a link.

Post Thanks / Like

How Fast Do You Need Your Bow To Be?
    By: Terry Martin
    Over the last 40 years, I have personally tested thousands of bows. In addition, I have reviewed hundreds of test results and reviews written for articles.
    In the early years of the compound bow, truth is many good recurves were faster than most compounds. In the early years compound bowsí let-off made it easier to hold at full draw. However, the durability and performance was not what it is today. It would be similar to comparing the Model T to cars of today.
    An archer needs to consider several things when choosing between a traditional or compound bow. Many archers choose to shoot traditional bows for their simplicity and light weight, not to mention the tradition and enjoyment of shooting these classic designs.
    Speed is great, however there is a price to pay. In early compound design, the energy was created by round eccentric wheels. These bows peaked at maximum weight for about 2 inches during the draw force curve of the bow.
    Current cam have been designed so the bow draws with peaking almost as soon as you start drawing back and not letting off until almost full draw. This creates much more stored energy and a much faster bow.
    Basically, the faster the bow the harder it will be to pull back. At full draw, however, the archer is only holding about 30 percent of the peak weight.

For comparisons, here are some examples of average speeds for different types:

Longbow 160 to 180 fps (feet per second)
    Recurve 170 to 210 fps
    Early compounds 180 to 240 fps
    Current compounds with high performance cams 280 to 350 fps
    Of course, itís important to consider other changes made over the years like riser materials, better string material, improved limb technology, cam design, composite arrows and overall bow design.
    Over the years, new bow designs, release aids and arrows have caused controversy. I remember when I was 10 years old, many felt the bow sight was too much an improvement. The reality is you could tape a tooth pick on your sight window and have an advantage.
    Release aids were an even bigger controversy. Some states banned release aids in the 1970s, but sales were as strong as states without a ban so the banning laws were quickly changed. The reality is the Turks used release aids hundreds of years ago.
    You can imagine what a controversy the compound bow was. Many archers felt they would destroy archery. Some dealers refused to carry compounds. Since the traditional market died for several years after the introduction of compounds, shops that refused to sell anything except recurves and long bows did not survive.
    Many manufacturers stopped production of traditional bows entirely. In the last 20 years, interest has returned and the traditional market has been increasing. In todayís market, archers can choose whichever feels best to them and many shoot both.
    Both have advantages — compound have more speed, which helps when judging yardage, they shoot flatter and allow the archer the advantage of misjudging the yardage by a greater distance and still hit the target; long bows and recurves have the advantage of simplicity and light weight.
    You can have lot of fun no matter whatever you choose. Archery is a great family sport. Keep in mind, even if a bow is fast, if itís not tuned or the archer isnít able to handle the bow, you just miss at a faster
    speed!