Thread: Was thinking of trying left hand shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Was thinking of trying left hand shooting

I have been tossing around the idea of shooting left handed for awhile now, beacause of the damage to my right hand.
    I have been back shooting just about 2 years now and have been fighting my anchor, not being able to lock it down and not having it float arond on my face.
    Well a good friend of mine has a Shadowcat that shoots left handed let me shoot it yesterday out at the range.
    Well I can tell you this.... DANG it was awsome, within about 15-20 min. I was shooting it just like my Shadowcat, same gaps and everything. I was shooting it 3 fingers under and my point on was 50 yards instead of 40 yards. If I cut the arrows a bit longer it will bring my point on back to 40 and I will be good to go.
    Bill my buddy gave me one of his old Pro Vantage Hoyts to play around with and I shot it about 2 hours yesterday afternoon and a coulpe of hours today. Give me another week and I will be ready for my first 3-D shoot.
    Who would of though it would be that easy to switch from right to left handed non-sighted shooting?
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

If the need is there I would change. Unfortunately I tried it last year and it didn't work well for me. I can draw more weight left handed, but just can't hold as steady, but then I don't have a bow I can shoot for extended periods to become accustomed to it. It sounds like your case is different so I'd go with it for a while and see what happens.

To tell you why I contemplated the change, over the years I have become left eye dominant. When I pull up and draw to aim I'm about 3' left at 35 yards. I know to float to the left to find the target and it's fine if I'm aiming at a defined spot, but 3D targets in dark settings can be quite troublesome sometimes. And over the years I've developed a shot sequence that when I come to full draw the shot is gone in about 5 seconds. Therefore I can't waste time moving to the left to find the vitals on a 3D target. It's either that or let down and start over. Couple that with a case of target panic and dark targets can become a real bear.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished up some more shooting, I would shot one arrow left handed then shot one right handed. LOL it was fun and I was shooting almost every shot in the 9 ring at 20 yards. The gap between my Shadowcat and the Hoyt is like night and day. The tip of the arrow with my Shadowcat is about 1/4" below the target and with the Hoyt it's in the dirt about 3 feet in front of the bales. I kind of cheated with the Hoyt though, I placed a lemon on the ground out in front of my bales and then just put the point of the arrow on the lemon while looking at the spot....LOL
    I can't wait tell Sunday, I will be shooting a local 3-D shoot, 42 targets,one arrow unmarked yardage. I have a friend that will be shooting in my group that is left handed. Once we start the shoot I will say, let me see your bow for a sec. and fling an arrow at the target when it's my shot and tell them...dang it's not hard to shoot left handed and hand the bow back. We are always joking around with eachother about whats better, being left handed or right.....lol
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I shot a local 3-D shoot.
    It was 42 unmarked targets. I ended up shooting a low for me 318, but I did take first place.
    I shot half right handed and half left handed, it was alot of fun.
    Now I need to find me a left handed Shadowcat.
    Don.

Post Thanks / Like

What eye dominant are you? Which are you using?
    2013 Martin Onza XT
    NAP Apache Rest
    Trophy Ridge 3pin Cypher Sight
    NAP Apache Stabilizer
    Kwikee Kwik 3 Kwiver

2010 Martin Bone Hunter
    QAD Ultra rest LD
    AXT Pro 30 3 pin sight
    Bow String Depot Custom String Set
    5" Octane Ultralite stabilizer
    Octane Deadlock Lite Quiver

Truball stinger release
    CX Heart Attack 350
    100g Rocket Hammerheads

60% of the time it works every time!

WWW.shorewindshuntingfarm.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am right eye dominant, but when I shoot left handed it's weird because I aquire my sight picture as soon as I come to full draw without closeing my right eye. I can pull right up and shoot.
    I can shoot right and left, back and forth one arrow after the other with no problem, it's kind of fun....lol
    Don.
    Last edited by Don B; 06-25-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're having fun learning a new way to shoot.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I shoot left handed or right handed even though I am left handed. Been doing it for years and enjoy the challenge.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well I did it.

Well I did it. I ordered a left handed riser for my backup Shadowcat. It should be in today.
    Martin had 10 raw risers on the shelf in the machine shop. I was hopeing that sense they dropped the Shadowcat line they might of given a bit of a price break on the riser, wishfull thinking on my part.....lol
    I have my first 3-D shoot next Saturday and hope to be shooting it left handed.
    Don.