Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY some long distance shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default FINALLY some long distance shooting.

So, as I started down this archery path in January, and I'm in Ohio, with the winter that will not end, I've been shooting either in my shop, which gives me about 10 yards. or at the local indoor shop and range, that has 20 yards. but, they charge 8 bucks and its a few miles away.

I built a nice bag and stand in the backyard, back in february during a two day false end to winter. but haven't been able to shoot at it since, without hiking through knee deep snow to recover arrows. not to mention, it ain't no fun shooting in below zero temps.

so, this week has been in the 30's. a practical heat wave if you ask me. and the past two days were warm enough to melt a lot of snow. and then it snowed yesterday! lol. but some warm temps and rain, washed away all but a little. today is almost 50, so I headed out to the backyard.

I was able to move the target out to 38 yards. (not measured, 38 paces.) but hey, i'll take what I can get. it's a heck of a lot better than 20.

keep in mind, i have not fired an arrow of 20 yards yet. I'm pretty happy with the results for my first time. even managed to kill the tennis ball hanging in front of the target. took 8 arrows before i hit it. but i finally got it.
    2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.
    http://www.ToledoTees.com

2. Likes Arrow Splitter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my backyard setup..

the closer bag on the chair is more for my niece and nephew, but it was my first target. it's at 15 paces.
    the farther target is the one I actually built a stand for. the target is 36x36x12. stuffed with some old memory foam front and back, and stuffed with t shirts in between.

2004 Martin Jaguazor 60# 27" Twisted Archer strings. Trophy Ridge Revolution rest. Trophy Ridge Pursuit sight.
    2004 Bowtech Pro40 Wheely. 60# 27" VaporTrail strings. Trophy Taker fall away rest. HHA Optimizer lite sight.

Post Thanks / Like

how about some updated pics of the Jaguazor. new limbs. new cams. new strings. new peep. new kisser. new d-loop. new rest. new sight. I've installed everything. Heck I even bought a bunch of wally world clearance arrows and refletched them all myself with blazers. and I made the wrist st

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice NT. Spring is coming here as well, I can see half the outdoor target.....LOL.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

7. Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice the sun came out today and I've been working in the yard trying to get the winter mess from the trees cleaned up (I'm gonna have to mow soon too )

Soon as I get the sweat washed off I think I'll go stretch the onza's legs. ...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

9. Likes naptime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a very nice Jaguar you have and good shootin.
    2013 Martin Onza Xt
    2012 Martin Cougar Fc
    2011 Martin Ridge Hunter turned Silencer
    2006 Martin Cougar 4se
    Fred Bear Grizzly @ 45lbs and Shakespear wonderbow @ 50lbs
    Love bows and everything bout bow hunting!!!

11. Thanks naptime thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you and the Jaguazor are pounding the center of that bag, got a heck of a group just under the tennis ball.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Napttime, how do you like the sight? I have been thinking about getting one myself seeing as It seems like it would be so much easier to sight it in past 20 yards just haven't had a chance to get much feedback from people that are using them. From the pics looks like it is working well for you nice shooting!
    Genesis 21:20 - And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by webbnate_45 View Post
    Napttime, how do you like the sight? I have been thinking about getting one myself seeing as It seems like it would be so much easier to sight it in past 20 yards just haven't had a chance to get much feedback from people that are using them. From the pics looks like it is working well for you nice shooting!
    IMO HHA OL sights are the best option for a double duty sight, hunting and target/3D, some prefer 5 pins or more, but for me thats just way too cluttered. With the HHA Optimizer lite sight, you have one vertical pin, either .29, .19, or .10 thousands in diameter. I went middle ground with the .19 pin, all of them come with 5 feet of fiber optic, so get the sight with the rheostat ( a sliding ring that cover as much of the fiber as you want ) because in full sun, the pin is so bright that it halos and you can't see past it. They all come with sight tapes, you sight in the pin at 20 yds and at 60 yds and choose the tape that matches your marks. Or you can do what I did, and shoot all of them in. Very ruggedly built, and backed with CS as good as Martin's, in case any thing does happen to it!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

15. Thanks webbnate_45 thanked for this post