Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wears eye protection while shooting their bow?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who wears eye protection while shooting their bow?

Wow just stepped into the garage to paper tune and first shot something hit me in the left eye. Maybe some string wax or a bit of grit but let me tell you it got my attention. I wear glasses and safety glasses whenever cutting or yard work, whatever. I know we are all starting to tweak and tune our bows for the upcoming season, lots of you younger guys don't need glasses, but I suggest some form of eye protection for everyone. Keep it safe!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not eye!!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously; Hutch, things are moving very fast off a compound bow and you only have 2 eyes. If you lose one you lose all depth perception, half or more of your vision, it's just not worth it. Over 40 years around grinders and cutters, all kinds of rotating machinery, I am very grateful to have both eyes. My 87 year old retired Pastor has no vision and it's not fun for him at the end of his life, how much more for a young person with decades to enjoy all that God has put before us.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

On the serious note Bob I wear safety glasses for everything. All safety equipment helmets gloves you name it. When shooting bow I do not wear safety glasses. Don't know if I will but can't say I won't either. Thought all my kids arrow safety and safety in general. Guess I didn't think of the glasses for shooting bow.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

it will be a burden for those who dont wear glasses in their normal time.

For me, i have to wear glasses, cz i cant get a good view without them. especially out to 40 yards onwards.

Post Thanks / Like

No i dont.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been wearing safety glasses while shooting my bow. I did start wearing a Protx Kevlar Shooter glove on my left hand for some extra safety. I did have a Cable guide break on me when I overdrew my PSE brute. I ended up shooting the arrow into the grass. A piece of th cable guide nailed my right under my right eye. I was bleeding pretty good. I thought it was my eye. i was scared to open my eyelid. Years back while I was practicing with my Off duty carry 1911 .45, I was shooting at a metal object laying on a dirt mound. This was off the Marine base in Yuma, AZ near their gun range. there was an area used by Civilians for shooting. I didn't check the object when I first pulled up. I pulled my ,.45 out and took two shots at it. The first shot I heard hit the object and made a metal thud sound upon impact. The second round made and different sound. then I saw an hazy object coming right back at me. It all happened in milliseconds. It was the .45 ball coming right back at me. it was like slow motion....I still can remember the heat off the ball has it hit the right side of my safety glasses. The plastic was being pushed it before it glassed off. It cracked my safely glasses and blew me back a few feet. I remember screaming...My wife and son were with me and she screamed because she saw the blood running down the right side of my cheek. I swore I was blind. I knew I was alive because I was still standing. I slowly opened my right eye to check for damage...NONE. We think that the plastic on the glasses cut me right under my eyelid below the eye socket when it flew off. I had a bad case of whiplash. I was shaking like crazy. I kept the sunglasses I need to look for them. I didn't go to the hospital because it was a gun related accident. I knew the cops would be called per the laws. I was embarrassed specially having a badge in my wallet.

I went back a week later to see what i shot at that caused the ricochet, it was still laying there. It was a water heater laid down on it side. I had shot at the base of the heater which is heavy thick metal and shaped like a bowl. I learned to check my targets before I shoot at them. The safety glasses i was wearing wasn't anything fancy. They were commercial type glasses used in factories. They probably cost me 12 bucks at the time. The only reason I had them is because I have a hard time finding wide framed regular glasses for my big head. I still use them to this day for daily use. Maybe i should start shooting my bow with safety glasses too.

This is what I use now and it's very similar to the one that saved me before.

Last edited by Double S; 06-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

as with age I needed to get reading glasses this year. I have tried and tried to wear them while shooting but I cannot. I look thru the nose pc and it gets really crazy. Im sure I will need to learn as I get older but for now its too hard. safety glasses would be the same for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    as with age I needed to get reading glasses this year. I have tried and tried to wear them while shooting but I cannot. I look thru the nose pc and it gets really crazy. Im sure I will need to learn as I get older but for now its too hard. safety glasses would be the same for me.
    FYI there is as far as i know a company that specialize in archery bifocal classes,they advertised on AT quite awhile ago.
    Last edited by Speedykills; 06-27-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    2008 Martin Firecat Pro x,Martin mounted ripcord rest,Sword twilight hunter site,G5 maglock quiver,carbonx stab,H&S custom threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I usually wear my glasses as i cannot hit the broadside of a deer w/out them. I agree, safety first. Also, concerning ricochets look for the video of the guy shooting a .50 cal that hits his ear protection.