Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who wears eye protection while shooting their bow?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually shoot outside and I'm sensitive to direct sunlight. I'm always wearing my shades out so the times I have shot a bow without some eye cover were few and far between but it's something to consider as I will probably start shooting indoors a bit more now that I will joining a local archery club. CDN winters aren't very archery friendly.

Oakley shades are well known for shatter resistance and mine cover the eye well. I will have to look for an indoor alternative.
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

This is the same as not wearing a saftey harness when climbing. It never inpacts us until it's someone we know or ourselves that get hurt. Of course it's a personal decision. Your eyes your choice. As for me I am going to find something for my grandsons to wear when we are shooting together. The thought of one of them losing an eye is incomprehensable.

Post Thanks / Like

From the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I can't see without glasses and many times it has blessed me by keeping me from self inflicted eye injury.
    KE sells Bows, Momentum kills Game
    2011 Silencer M-16
    2010 Bengal M-85
    1997 Jaguar M-63

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    Wow just stepped into the garage to paper tune and first shot something hit me in the left eye. Maybe some string wax or a bit of grit but let me tell you it got my attention. I wear glasses and safety glasses whenever cutting or yard work, whatever. I know we are all starting to tweak and tune our bows for the upcoming season, lots of you younger guys don't need glasses, but I suggest some form of eye protection for everyone. Keep it safe!
    I'm glad it wasn't anythings serious! Safety glasses may not look so cool, but it's better to be safe than to look cool. Abatix has all kinds of eye safety equipment. They are very reasonably priced and have lots of options. Here's a link to one of their safety glasses products: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=KIM14464&ca tlist=649" Safety Glasses >> Allsafe Cudas Glasses, Cudas Clear Lens/Black Frame]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenfore6 View Post
    I'm glad it wasn't anythings serious! Safety glasses may not look so cool, but it's better to be safe than to look cool. Abatix has all kinds of eye safety equipment. They are very reasonably priced and have lots of options. Here's a link to one of their safety glasses products: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=KIM14464&ca tlist=649" Safety Glasses >> Allsafe Cudas Glasses, Cudas Clear Lens/Black Frame]
    Thanks for adding that link to this old thread, and welcome to the site.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Worked in the machine shop for years and know what safety glasses are. Shooting firearms, I use some type of glasses.

Using glasses for shooting a bow is near impossible for me and I wear glasses to read. I have to wear glasses to set my sight and take them off so I can see to shoot. The frame gets in the way of aiming and the curvature of the lens can distort the sight picture.

The safety harness came about for a reason. I don't use one when climbing. I wear a simple safety belt attached to the tree, but depends on the tree stand. Most have the seat about 6 to 7 feet off the ground.

The Kevlar shooting glove...suppose to stop a arrow from puncturing the hand, but I don't use one. The horror stories and pictures put fear in some people. All these hand punctures came from unchecked arrows and stupidity... Said more than a few times was a brand new arrow blew apart. Me, the only way that's going to happen is if the arrow was cracked to begin with... Said a few times was the use of a too weak of spine arrow. I don't believe that either. From what I've seen the arrows giving the injuries were of the standard diameter hunting arrow, carbons, in the range of .290" or so.

The vast majority of arrows I use are in the .355" diameter range and I've used them since Carbon Express first marketed the CXL shaft around 2002. Never have I had a CXL fail when shooting and they are fragile (spell with capital letters), especially the CXL 150.

The only time I've heard of a arrow blowing apart was years back, when some one tried to use a wood arrow. Yep, penetrated the man's forearm. Real stupid....

Of all cases of a carbon arrow blowing only one time I know of one man confessing it was his fault. He had cracked a arrow, put it in the bottom tube of his hip quiver. Most people will turn the ruined arrow upside down in the bottom tube. D.D. didn't. He mistakenly pulled the cracked arrow. Broke at the shot, the back portion of the arrow penetrated his hand at the web of thumb and index finger. D.D was out action for only a few weeks and back to shooting.

Another time could have been disastrous. R.G. carried a new arrow without a point. Lacking 150 grs it could have almost been called a dry fire. We were shooting the 60 yard target in the State Field Championship. We watch, we know how a arrow should fly, arc. That R.G's arrow climbed, flattened out and hung there we knew something wrong. The arrow cleared the 60 yard target butt. At first we thought he set his sight wrong. Only with pulling all his arrows from his quiver did he realize his brand new arrow without a point wasn't there.
    Former and current Back Yard Champion. I beat myself

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sonny about carbon arrows breaking. Sure, every once in a great while do we hear of such instances and pictures make it a reality, but consider that the vast majority of arrows shot today are of the carbon variety. How many shooters and how many shots taken each and every day. Probably numbers into millions if not many millions. I've been shooting for 40 years with compound bows having shot aluminum till about 1993 when carbon started becoming popular. Don't shoot near as much as I once did and still manage about 8,000 shots a year and in all that time I can't remember ever having an arrow break during the shot, and I've shot some ugly arrows.

Never had a peep or peep tube hit me in the face either although I have had a couple strings snap at the shot and things went flying. One string even cut my forearm years ago. I've had one riser back in the early 70's that snapped in half at full draw. S handle Jennings that whacked me in the head pretty good, too. Got it replaced and started shooting again in a couple days with no misgivings.

Call me lucky? Maybe, but life is full of dangers. I drive school bus part time and have become more aware of how stupid people drive or the stupid things they do while driving. Much more dangerous than any damage a bow or arrow is going to throw at me. Fall down a flight of steps or in the tub or shower? Sometimes it's called sh-- happens and we can't protect ourselves from everything in life.

Just like life insurance. How many guys pay an insurance company for something you have to die to collect. I quit that nonsense years ago and invested that money in the stock market. Makes much more sense once the kids are grown and gone. Now I'm self insured and can access the money while I'm living. Why make some broker rich by living? Believe me, the odds are in his favor.

So what does this have to do with safety glasses. NADA, nothing. Sorry for getting so far off track and anybody is free to disagree with me.
    Last edited by bfisher; 04-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

8. Likes CLT Bluesman liked this post