Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got A Question.....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got A Question.....

Looking to get a 3D target to make practice a little more realistic and would like some recommendations on models and brands. I normally either shoot at bag targets I make myself (feed sacks stuffed with old clothes and rags) or stump shooting in the woods/swamps. As far as big game goes I hunt whitetails and boar. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a Glendel and it was a good target.Kinda skimped on my next one which was a Shooter Buck and regret it.Does not take alot of shooting to destroy the vitals,and that is with FP's.My next one will be a Glendel again.
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

once you start shooting 3d's you will want 2 shoot one every weekend you as far as equipment it's still a personal thing shoot differant models see what fits you,for me I like some speed to over come some yardage misque's a couple yard could mean 10 points or 8 point but shooting good group over way's the extra speed if you don't have good form, find one that fits you
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I have had McKenzie targets, and they aren't bad. I do think my next one will be a GlenDel though, or a Rinehart. After looking at both of them, I can see they appear to be several steps above the quality of the McKenzie. I've noticed that the targets with the "vital area" that is just made out of layered foam tend to wear out REALLY fast. The same goes for a plain solid foam type body on cheaper targets I've had. I think it boils down to, you get what you pay for in this case. If you plan to shoot broadheads, it'll really make a difference.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 07-04-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info folks! I would like to practice with broadheads so durability is a factor. Thanks again.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Barnett Jackal

Post Thanks / Like

Rhinehart has been my favorite, and they do hold up well. However if you are planing to shoot broadheads you will want to make sure the target you buy has a replaceable kill, and with that being said with broadheads you will be replacing it very often.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Just so long as it's not too expensive to replace. My wife has very definite ideas about such things.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Barnett Jackal

Post Thanks / Like

If you're serious about getting the best bang for the buck (dollar) then take a look at R&W targets. They are pretty realistic and way cheaper than most Rineharts and McKenzies. More like about 1/3 the price. They're about twice the the price of those el-cheapo ones sold by the box stores, but will hold up much longer and so have a replaceable vital core. They're harder to pull arrows from, but just a little harder than McKenzies. For ease of arrow removal nothing even comes close to Rineharts except the new McKenzie XT targets--if you feel like parting with nearly $500.

From a personal standpoint I would not shoot broadheads into any 3D target unless you want to destroy it in short order. I'd just buy a Morrell Yellow Jacket and be done with it. Save the 3D for target/field points. Frankly I've never seen any reason tpracticece with broadheads other than to get them flying right (bow tune). The I put the target points to use. If you can get them both hitting the same POI then what's the point in destroying a target just because you can.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    From a personal standpoint I would not shoot broadheads into any 3D target unless you want to destroy it in short order. I'd just buy a Morrell Yellow Jacket and be done with it. Save the 3D for target/field points. Frankly I've never seen any reason tpracticece with broadheads other than to get them flying right (bow tune). The I put the target points to use. If you can get them both hitting the same POI then what's the point in destroying a target just because you can.
    BINGO!. I totally agree with Barry. I have a Morell Yellow Jacket Broadhead Target and I use it for BH tuning to amke sure my rig is ready before the season starts. I have the same YJ target for over two seasons now. I do put it away when I'm not using it, it still looks great. I had the older Glendal rut 3d buck, I was told that it had a frame wrapping around the inside perimeter of the deers body. I was told also that the newer version was changed but that's just what someone else told me. Not my own personal experience with the new model.I would check with the retailer before buying a glendal buck. The glendal rut was great when i was using fieldpoints but it only lasted about one season maybe a season and a half. BH's ripped right through it like butter. I found out the hard way about the frame. I shot low on the belly and heard an odd thud...I pulled the arrow out and the BH stayed in the target. Stupid me...I took a blade to get the Bh out and ripped a good 2 inch square hole in the belly to get the Montec BH out. The Bh jammed up into the frame. I had to get it out or I would risk damaging another BH or even a fieldpoint if I hit the same area again. I would have bought another vital replacement but I didn't like the frame. Look at several brands before you buy. Invest in a quality 3-d target and shoot only Fp in it and it will last you a long time. Buy a cheap Morell YJ or other BH bag for BH tuning.
    Welcome to the forum!.
    Last edited by Double S; 07-05-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you back Simon. Hope your internet is working better now.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver