Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Onza III Question....

Post Thanks / Like

Question Martin Onza III Question....

The Martin Onza III lists its longest draw length @ 30.5". Does anyone know if this is a long 30.5" or a dead nuts 30.5" and hopefully not a short 30.5"?

Martin Onza III.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's an interesting question... Before I bought my Onza, I emailed Martin to see if their listed specs were AMO draw or tru draw, and they said that all their specs are AMO. That being said, the shortest draw (per spec) should be 27.5" AMO. My AMO draw is 28.25", and I am on the shortest setting. So 3/4" off. So it would go with out saying that all things being equal, it should make the 30.5" max draw would then be 31.25... Hope that helps. Maybe if anyone else has had a similar experience with the bow they could chime in too...
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

That is exactly the info I am looking for as I wanted to know if my 30.75" draw could find itself in the Onza III. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the response...

1/2-3/4 over I can deal with which is what I was hoping for. That means this is another possible for a new bow.
    Last edited by peace; 07-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Had my hands on just one. Held to listed ata, 33 1/4", it checked exactly 26 1/4 and add the amo 1 3/4" gave it a honest 28.0" draw with the mods set to 27 1/2". So figure plus 1/2". Even if exact a little string tweaking would give you your draw length. Twist cables and untwist bow to lengthen. Just maintain ata and all will be well.
    sounds about right. I did get mine down to the same, but it dropped the weight to under 70, and I didn't want to play with the cables anymore, so I put it back. I wasn't worried about the 1/4" lol.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I've played with draw lengths on two Shadowcats, two Nemesis, one Alien X and one Onza 3. Not one of them gained or lost poundage. One Shadowcat had strings twisted and untwisted to extremes, right to the point the cams looked totally wrong, but draw length was exact to the mod setting. There was no loss of draw weight.
    Huh, the bows I've played with if the shooting string was long, the poundage went up. If I short-strung them, the poundage went down. When I was setting up the Onza (first dual cam I've played with) it came with the ATA at 33 3/4, and the BH was 7", and the DL was long. As I cranked the cables down to bring the ATA down, DL and BH increased (slightly), and the poundage went up. Shortened the string to bring DL down to spec, and the poundage went down. It ended up being a balancing act! At the end, my ATA, BH, and poundage were dead on, and the DL was a little long...

Post Thanks / Like

So peace where are you thinking about buying the Onza from?

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Onza III might be in the future....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    So peace where are you thinking about buying the Onza from?
    I shop the internet, mostly Ebay and various sports or archery online dealers. I make a note a bows I would like to purchase and do to my budget I wait a few years and then scoop something up. My latest purchase was a brand new eight year old bow...LOL a Cougar 3 Magnum. It was in mint condition, never had been setup, and now I know why. The specs are all over the place. Now I have just decided to set the BH and DL where I want it and let everything else be what it wants to be.

Being that it sat for eight years I completely dismantled it cleaned the axles and sanded the cam grooves, replaced the strings and cable and pretty much have a brand new never been shot bow until I put a few arrows through it. It shows promise as a real tack driver.

I am looking at the Onza III, the Ridge Hunter and or the Firecat 360 in the Martin line-up but if God is willing hopefully a Rytera Seeker 365 would find me.
    Last edited by peace; 07-06-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    Well, that's an interesting question... Before I bought my Onza, I emailed Martin to see if their listed specs were AMO draw or tru draw, and they said that all their specs are AMO. That being said, the shortest draw (per spec) should be 27.5" AMO. My AMO draw is 28.25", and I am on the shortest setting. So 3/4" off. So it would go with out saying that all things being equal, it should make the 30.5" max draw would then be 31.25... Hope that helps. Maybe if anyone else has had a similar experience with the bow they could chime in too...
    dang the the answer i was looking for....have mine set on the shortest setting and it measures at 28 1/4" also....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    I shop the internet, mostly Ebay and various sports or archery online dealers. I make a note a bows I would like to purchase and do to my budget I wait a few years and then scoop something up. My latest purchase was a brand new eight year old bow...LOL a Cougar 3 Magnum. It was in mint condition, never had been setup, and now I know why. The specs are all over the place. Now I have just decided to set the BH and DL where I want it and let everything else be what it wants to be.

Being that it sat for eight years I completely dismantled it cleaned the axles and sanded the cam grooves, replaced the strings and cable and pretty much have a brand new never been shot bow until I put a few arrows through it. It shows promise as a real tack driver.

I am looking at the Onza III, the Ridge Hunter and or the Firecat 360 in the Martin line-up but if God is willing hopefully a Rytera Seeker 365 would find me.
    Havent seen this member in awhile................