Thread: Martin Magnum cougar III cam swap.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Martin Magnum cougar III cam swap.

I am wondering if it would be possible to make my bow into a single cam bow by swapping out the top cam with a wheel? How would this change things as far as ata, bh, and let off? Would I need a different size string set? How much loss in speed would I lose? Thank you for any info you are able to give!

Brian

Martin Magnum Cougar III

Arrow Shooting, Deer Destroyer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMan View Post
    I am wondering if it would be possible to make my bow into a single cam bow by swapping out the top cam with a wheel? How would this change things as far as ata, bh, and let off? Would I need a different size string set? How much loss in speed would I lose? Thank you for any info you are able to give!

Brian
    Well that depend on which cams you're swaping. My Cougar III has Nitrous cams, and are rated at 320 fps. With out knowing any more about your bow, real tough for me to give any conculsive information, but I'll include this link, and you can compare Cougar III's with differnt cam systems. This is the 2004 bow comparsion chart, My Cougar is a 2004, to change years, move your cursor over the "Bow Spec Databases" in the top bar, next to "DIRECTORY". Hope this will help give you an idea of what you can expect.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Bo...ations-all.htm
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Well that depend on which cams you're swaping. My Cougar III has Nitrous cams, and are rated at 320 fps. With out knowing any more about your bow, real tough for me to give any conculsive information, but I'll include this link, and you can compare Cougar III's with differnt cam systems. This is the 2004 bow comparsion chart, My Cougar is a 2004, to change years, move your cursor over the "Bow Spec Databases" in the top bar, next to "DIRECTORY". Hope this will help give you an idea of what you can expect.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2007-Bo...ations-all.htm
    2004 Martin Magnum Cougar III, Nitrous C cams - What I want to do is change it into a single cam.

Martin Magnum Cougar III

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else done this to this model bow before? Im gonna get ahold of Martin and see about a wheel. I just wonder what size string Im gonna need and top axle. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank You!

Brian

Martin Magnum Cougar III

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it isn't going to work as you want to do it. A single cam needs three pegs to connect the rigging. One for the cable attached to the top limb and two for the string. You have to change both the idler and the cam. I'm not sure why you want to change from the Nitrous cams as they were one of the best systems ever designed, and especially so if you use the X system.

Also, xchanging cam systems often times changes the draw weight range of the bow. Another thing you have to be careful about is the limbs themselves. Depending on just how aggressive the single cam you choose is the limbs might not hold up to the stress. That's one of the reasons Martin changed from laminated limbs for 2011.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

joelc

It wont work...trust me.