Thread: swapping cams on scepter v

Post Thanks / Like

Default swapping cams on scepter v

i know this would void the warranty but, wondered if you could swap the stock cams with older nitrous cams? say a or b cams? if it would work how would u know the string lenghts? maybe put it in a press and set the ata with the cams in and hold them where they would lie at rest and get a ballpark that way? sorry for sounding dumb but its an idea i am throwing out there, I have nothing against the stock cams i just want true 65% let off not something derived from draw stops and such.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two major obtacles to this. The space between the limb forks is just about 1/10" narrower than the width of the Nitrous cams. You'd have to machine some material from the inside edge of each limb fork for the cams to fit. How much this would weaken those forks is something I don't know about.

The second thing is that any time you install a smaller cam in a given limb deflection the draw weight will increase. If you're talking about going from the Nitro cam to possibly the Nitrous A cam I think you'd see quite a gain in draw weight. Possibly as much as 20#.

You can do a search here as there was a member that did this a couple years ago and did expain it quite well. I think it was Montalaar. He was a regular, but has been inactive for some time now. Or maybe it was Sonny Thomas. Maybe one of the other guys will remember better than I.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that you're correct Barry, it was Montalaar, he switched the cams on his Shadowcat to C Nitrous, and in his case, lost some draw weight.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade