Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minerals

Post Thanks / Like

I've had pretty good luck with the 4 lb bricks by just jamming them in broken up stumps. They last longer and the minerals leech into the wood. The deer will actually chew the wood to get the minerals. Good news about the does, where the girls hang out the boys will soon come over. But that's with any species including our own.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdodraw29 View Post
    Yup, a decent amount. I have a 4' dia. area thats all torn up. It started off slow this year then it started getting hit on a regular basis. It looks like I have a lot of young bucks visiting it this year, haven't seen much sign of any real big ones. Decent amnt of doe traffic also.
    Put out a bag of salt the other day. Mixed two jars of peanut butter in it and they seem to really like it. Just hope a bear doesn't show up, very illegal to shoot them in my game zone.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Barnett Jackal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
    Put out a bag of salt the other day. Mixed two jars of peanut butter in it and they seem to really like it. Just hope a bear doesn't show up, very illegal to shoot them in my game zone.
    Thats what happen hereabouts, once you get deer comming to your mineral and alfalfa ( thats what we're allowed to use here in Oregon ), then Yogi will come wanderin in to see what the deer are nosin around. I could only imagine if we were to put out some peanut butter out!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
    That is a great idea I never thought of peanut butter.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter

Post Thanks / Like

They love the stuff down here. Smear it on a tree trunk, stump or dump it on the ground. I have a bud that unscrews the lid and nails it to a tree. He then cuts the bottom out of the plastic jar and then screws it back on. This makes them work for it harder and it will last longer. Put it about 5ft above ground. He's got trailcam pix of deer standing on their hind legs to get at it when he put the jar higher than 5ft so 5-51/2 ft is about right. I haven't tried his method yet but the pictures prove it works. For the record I haven't found any preference between smooth and extra crunchy.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Barnett Jackal

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I quit putting out corn,cows like it alot,started with cattle salt,50lb bags will see how deer like it..........read alot of good things about this on AT.
    hes right the salt and protein licks you can buy for your cows are pretty much the same as for the deer only theirs a specific market for the deer blocks and they cost more money. a lot of feed milling places where i live all have their own custom blend deer feed that they patented and sell. any of you guys heard of rack attack. its made right here in brookhaven mississippi by gatlin feed. i dont care for the stuff, it molds very quickly so unless you have a big deer heard i would no suggest it. the lincoln coutnty co-op feed store patented a feed called mo bucks. its not national like rack attack, you can only get it here. it works great, even if you are hunting in a hunted out area with very few skiddish deer, if you put this out just for the sake of feeding and helping them they are going to eat.

anyways i kind of ranted on, i have heard good things about the deer cane blocks, if you live in the south do not give anything with apple or sugar beats, i have literally seen a deer lick an apple block snort and run away, i guess its possible it could have scented me but it never got licked down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdodraw29 View Post
    That is a great idea I never thought of peanut butter.
    careful with the peanut butter, there are some specific laws on using that in the south

Post Thanks / Like

I poured some Sugar Beet Crush down the other day and it only lasted 3-5 days. The apples do work if they're used to them ( I have an orchard). Fuji, Braeburn and Granny Smith seem to be favorites among the deer in my area.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Barnett Jackal

Post Thanks / Like

I like apples too wink wink. For some reason the deer dont like blocks around here. They do love C'mere Deer and Buck Grub powders
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

I find the deer up here like all stock sweat feed, and unlike corn the tree rats leave it alone.
    2011 silencer
    2008 trophy hunter