Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minerals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
    What do you folks (if it's legal in your area) put out for a mineral lick to strengthen the deer herd? I've had good luck with Trophy Rock and Buck Lickers 4lb bricks. Acorn and Sweet corn & molasses seem to work pretty well.
    A bottle of molasses is a cheap way to liven up your corn pile too
    You're gonna get bears! Molasses has a strong scent, and will attract bears from a long ways off. Deer do love it, but will be second in line, waiting till the bear gets done, who will just flop right down and graze on the pile till its gone. Another cheap way to liven up your corn pile is Vanilla. I've tried that sweet corn and molasses block, got a bear, ate the whole block, like I said, just floped down and gobbled. Of course that is in Oregon, where we're not allowed to run bears with dogs, and since that law was enacted, the bear population has exploded, bear tags are now $11 for the Aug 1st thru Dec 31st, addional tags are avaible, also have a spring season, same thing with Cougars, now a total of an 11 month season on them. Worse in California, where cougars are protected.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try that vanilla. We have one zone in SC that bears can be legally taken and on certain days dogs can be run. I hope they let us have a drawing for tags like they do on our gator season. That would thin them out a bit.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.