Thread: Left wing, Right wing

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Left wing, Right wing

Going to make up some 4" feathered arrows and was wondering about the left/right wing thing. As you all know I shoot left handed and have been just shooting out of the box arrows. Some blazers, some 3" fusion, and some 4" feathers and I believe they are right wing. Have a few questions about it.

Right wing for right handed shooters, left wing for leftys, does it really make a difference?

If I do go with left wings will I need to adjust my sight horizontally?

Parabolic or shield cut, any difference here?

Is an arrow fletched right wing "confused" when launched from a left hand bow? It was explaned to me that the "correct" wing helps stabilize the arrows flight faster?

Be gentle on me, don't know, that's why I'm asking.
    Last edited by NuttyNative; 07-16-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z

Post Thanks / Like

Not a clue either, so don't feel bad. lol I'll be waiting to hear what some people say about this. Always kinda wondered myself, since to me it doesn't make any sense which way the fletch is oriented. The arrow is coming out of the bow the same way, so in my feeble mind, it shouldn't matter.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, it doesn't really matter unless you happen to be shooting traditional and off the shelf. Then you shoot RH feathers for right handed bow and LH for left hand. For release shooting and any rest that's above the shelf you can go either way.

Many years ago I shot all LW so bought a Bitz jig with left hand clamp. Some years later, due to lack of popularity, there became an abundance of RH feathers and some went on sale cheap. So I ended up buying a RH clamp and a lot of RH feathers. I used to go through 300 feathers a year shooting field archery. Feathers back then cost $7.00/100 for 2" so you know that was a whole way back. Buying the RH clamp gave me a nice advantage when it came to sales. I could buy whatever was selling the cheapest. The last batch of feathers I bought was a 100 pack of 4" black Trueflights for $2.00. How's that for a deal? LOL.

There have been times in the past where I had both LH and RH "arrows" in my quiver at the same time and shooting as far out as 80 yards there wasn't any difference.

If you shoot vanes? They bend either way so fletch with what jig you have. Straight, offset, or hard helical doesn't matter. Just don't mix and match here as helical will give more drag. I do have to say that's one of the advantages of using a drop away rest.

As far as stabilization comes into play it doesn't matter. What determines how quick and arrow stabilizes is dependent on the bow/arrow tune, the size of the fletching, and the degree of offset or helical. Parabolic or shield? Pick one, but I think parabolics tend to be a little more quiet in flight and are just easier to find and maybe cheaper.

Hope this answers your DUMB question. Seriously, it's not dumb to ask. That's how you learn and I'm glad to help. That's what I'm here for.
    Last edited by bfisher; 07-16-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight Barry, I was hoping it wasn't a big deal. Think I might make up 1/2 dozen of left wing just to try them out. For some reason I get better accuracy with feathers?? Going to fletch up some Easton Axis nano's & see what happens.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z