Thread: Scouting attempt #1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scouting attempt #1

Ok, so just got 15 acres to hunt on near San Marcos, Tx and went to do some scouting in the heat today. It is thick, thick, thick with cedars (mexican junipers). I spent 3 hours looking for some tree to hang a stand to. My conclusion is all the trees on the lot are crooked.....I couldn't find a straight tree to save my life. I did get some pics of some does on the trail cam though.
    Last edited by Double S; 07-22-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: edit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Ok, so just got 15 acres to hunt on near San Marcos, Tx and went to do some scouting in the heat today. It is thick, thick, thick with cedars (mexican junipers). I spent 3 hours looking for some tree to hang a stand to. My conclusion is all the trees on the lot are crooked.....I couldn't find a straight tree to save my life. I did get some pics of some does on the trail cam though.
    lol ground blinds
    ???
    Last edited by Double S; 07-22-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: edited quote

Post Thanks / Like

Ladder stands.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree with ES4X5. Even on straight trees I use ladder stands. Much easier getting into and out of, and if there's a little bend to the tree, they still work well. If the trees are too thin (under 8" diameter) I won't put a stand at all. One other benefit of a ladder stand on a Juniper/evergreen is that you don't have to trim nearly as many limbs to use one. You can hide the ladder itself in the limbs, and only trim around the seat area.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

I did find one tree that had 4 traile w/in range. One is right at the base, so I am thinking about trying to block it and reroute it. Has any one tried this technique? I will be using a tripod at another location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    I did find one tree that had 4 traile w/in range. One is right at the base, so I am thinking about trying to block it and reroute it. Has any one tried this technique? I will be using a tripod at another location.
    Yes. Pile up branches from other trees in the trail, and block it off, same thing I do to move critters in front of my trail cams, Deer are familar with storm damage changing their usual trails, won't spook 'em.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade