Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowstands of your preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bowstands of your preference.

This upcoming season is my second bow season. I see a lot of adds, for all these fancy bow stands, all of which costing over 100$ easily. The stand I hunted out of last year, was made by my father, and not bought out of a store. This year I used what I learned from my hunt last year, to design and build my own stand this year. I know its a little hefty, but it is sturdy and I know it will not be noisy, once hung in a tree. I was wondering if anyone had any input on bow stands. Personal favorites? Pros? Cons? 0r any tips they might have when it comes to constructing any tree-stands. I built my stand completely from scrap material from where I work. (If your city has a "loadmaster" garbage truck, chances are that I had something to do with it! Any input is appreciated!
    All my stand needs is a seat, which is my next and final step, before hanging it in a tree!
    bowstand.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rig man. I just last year bought a Big Game ladder stand. My first store bought rig as I always built mine in the past. Sportsman"s Guide has some in their Guide Gear line that don't look too bad in the 50-75 dollar range in both hang on and ladder styles. Safety is #1 and the one you made looks bulletproof. Good work!
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

myself I only use climbers I like to be mobile,The down side a little noisey
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I have always liked the idea of a climber for hunting hardwoods, and have always wondered if they were super noisy. They look low impact, you dont have to set them up ahead of time, and have a low profile. That being said, do you ever have any problems with deer being spooked due to not being able to pre-set up the post?

Post Thanks / Like

I have hunted from ladder stands and hang on's, I never used a climber. That being said I like ladder stands due to the ease of getting in and out, what can I say I'll be 50 this winter and a ladder is easier then sticks. I still will use both types though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I have hunted from ladder stands and hang on's, I never used a climber. That being said I like ladder stands due to the ease of getting in and out, what can I say I'll be 50 this winter and a ladder is easier then sticks. I still will use both types though.
    Ditto on the ladder type, I'll be 47 this season. The knees ain't what they used to be, that's for sure.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by foxman333 View Post
    I have always liked the idea of a climber for hunting hardwoods, and have always wondered if they were super noisy. They look low impact, you dont have to set them up ahead of time, and have a low profile. That being said, do you ever have any problems with deer being spooked due to not being able to pre-set up the post?
    I have set up and shot bucks with in a half hour of setting up
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Foxman. I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a big fan of the tree saddle. They weigh about 4 lbs, are super quiet and safe, and they give you many more options when it comes to stand locations. You wear it in and out every trip so theft is not an issue. Someone could steal your steps, but that's cheap compared to a stand. I currently have enough steps to rig three locations(just one saddle). You can shoot virtually 360* and more importantly, you can set up in trees that lean. I've found plenty of nice hunting locations that would have been unusable with coventional stands. A couple of years ago I was setting up on an elk wallow. After I got up about 10', I was spotted by 3 whitetail does that were bedded down about 100 yds away. They watched me finish and then laid back down as though nothing was out of place. About 5 hrs later, my elk was on the ground, I was rigged out and on my way to the truck. It's nice when the heaviest thing you carry to rig up a stand, is your tree steps! I had hiked about a mile from the road. The saddle is also quite comfortable, I typically spend 6-7 hrs at a time no problem. You do need to practice shooting from it, but I found i got used to it quite quickly. Well, that's my two cents, everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that one of those rope and plywood seat systems? Would'nt happen to have a photo, would you?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

ES4X5, no it isn't a rope and plywood system. It's kind of like a full harness with a built in leather seat. As your installing your steps it works like a linesman belt, then at the top you attach with a 2" nylon web lanyard. Your always 100% secure. I got caught in some high winds once, at 25' up the tree was waving back and forth about 2'(felt more like 6'). Took a few minutes to get used to but after a couple of hours the wind died down and I was able to finish my hunt. Don't think I would have been able to ride it out in a conventional stand. There are other companies that make similar harnesses(stands if you like), some with a hard seat built in. The one I use is the Trophyline tree saddle. I believe I paid $220 for it, and another $90 for sixty steps. Pretty cheap compared to buying three stands. Here's the link:http://trophylineusa.com/products.php