Thread: new to site new cheetah owner

c.g

Default new to site new cheetah owner

bought my first martin last week ,first bow i have shot in about 15 years.i believe i made the right chose in a new bow.just a few questions when i adjust the tiller the top limb is a full turn out further than the bottom should it take this much differance in the limbs.i was reading on another thread that there should be 3/8 of a inch showing on the cam,but there isnt on mine the string is about flush with the end of the groove on the cam .the reason im asking is the string is kind of noisy how do i adjust this to make it right.thanks c.g

Post Thanks / Like

Add some twists into the cables.
    (2) Martin ShadowCat 2010

Post Thanks / Like

You can add twists but Id be careful if you havent done this before. Id find a good bowshop or call Martin and have a tech to talk you through it. The only reason I say this is I know a guy that put to many twists in his harness and delammed his limbs coming out of the press.
    Good luck and welcome to the site. Kenny

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your cables are already too short. You need to twist up the string and/or untwist the cables. I'd do a little on both. This should give you the recommended gap in the cam groove and help with the string vibration.

As for tiller measurement, there are two ways of checking it. One is to just bottom the limbs and then back them out evenly to achieve the desired draw weight. The other is to stretch a piece if thread or cord from axle to axle and measure from the base of the limb to the thread. You can't always count on an accurate tiller measurment when using the shooting string because of possible differences in diameter or rotation of the cam and idler wheel.

Hope this helps and welcome to Martin land.

Barry

c.g

took my bow to a martin dealer today .he said there wasnt any twist to the string at all. a few trips to the press and now its like a different bow quiet and fast,better than before.thanks for the help.c.g