Thread: Cougar Sights and Rest?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cougar Sights and Rest?

Well, I am getting a '12 Cougar in the mail in the next week or 2, and gonna need to get some sights, want a lighted 5 pin i think, and a new rest for it. Any suggestion for either? Don't want to spend over a hundred bucks on each. Mostly hunting and some 3d shoots.

Heard great stuff on Spott Hogg but a little more than I want to spend.

Looking at a trophy ridge alpha v5, at the top of the list

Also a few truglos looked ok.

Anybody ever deal with Extreme sights either? Seemed resonable

Drop away rest a QAD ultra pro hd or the NAP apache. Got a buddy that can get good price on them.

Although I wouldn't mind a capture rest, KISS, but haven't heard a ton of good reviews on them.

Octane has a decent looking capture, the Hostage

I will need some new arrows too, not sure if I want to stick to the GT 5575 that I use on my older Pantera.
    will be shooting 60 pounds and around 26" draw with the nitro 2 cams. Sorry got long with all the ?'s

Thanks again, Timmy
    '07 Martin Pantera, QAD Ultra-rest Hunter, 4" Fuse Stabilizer, Thermal Grip, Norway String Tamer G, Limb Savers

Post Thanks / Like

The GT 5575's should shoot fine with it.
    Take a look at the Sword sights. They are built really well and you can order them in any configuration you want.
    For a drop away the Limb Driver is probably the easiest and most reliable rest out there.
    -jmdao...

Post Thanks / Like

Gee. I wonder who you're getting the bow from. Hint, hint.

If you already have the arrows I would just use them. 5575 should work just fine. I haven't tried all the rests out there, but for a drop away I would look at the Rip Cord Code Red. QAD is similar so you could go that route if it's cheaper.

Sights are such a personal thing, but I don't think that you'll need a lighted sight. Most are wrapped these days with extra fiber and are quite bright enough, but that's your choice. Batteries tend to get expensive, too. I lean more towards single pin adjustables these days because I can't focus on multiple pins, but I do look for sights made of machined aluminum and tooless adjustments. Adjusting with Allen wrenches gets old pretty quick. The Extreme Recon 1500 or Raptor 911 kind of interest me with .019 pins (4 of them) and are within your budget. These are just a couple of ideas.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Congrads, send pics. I shoot a TruGlo 5 pin micro adjustment; I like the two green pins on top and bottom, with a red pin in the middle, + it has a great light. Look at the Limb Driver Pro, have two and they deliver. It's all personnel but yes you're right, I can't see spending a boat load of bucks on those components when you can get them that are just as good as the one's that cost way over 100/200 bucks. Kind of like Martin, my Martins will out shoot me... Have fun setting up and shooting...
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

The bengal i just got has basic qad rest and a old new cobra single pin sight....with 019 pin which is a must for me.........It's really a personel preference.I have no problem using older but new stuff on a bow....
    But i wont skimp on my broad heads............

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the bow, #1! They're shooters for sure .

If you want simple, the whisker biscuit is just simply the best non-moving containment rest out there. I have a Trophy Ridge Revolution, and I really like it so far. My brother in law swears by the Code Red. It's a personal preferance thing.

As for the sight, I agree that you probably don't need a light. My Trophy Ridge V5 Firewire is almost too bright at times just by itself, and it really shines in low light scenarios. Hope that helps!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

congrats have a cougarfc pro as well. the new nap apache rests are great but be aware u want the apache carbon for easier loading. u drop the arrow in at the 10 o'clock position instead of 12 o'clock. the standard apache makes it tough to load arrows especially with a wrist strap release because the frame is tall so ur arow hit ur sight. as for the sight, i dont like anything that blocks to much field of view. the pins are stacked on the alpha v5 if i am correct, get something u can see between. dont skimp on the rest and sight, u dont put 87 octane gas on a farrari

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of Extreme sights. They seem like really good sights to me, especially for the money. No noise, good bright pins, solidly built. I did switch over to HHA sights, and really like the single sliding pin.
    PM me if you think you might be interested in one of the sights. I'd be willing to sell one of the Extremes.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 07-25-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

i got the Extreme Raptor sight. It just work fine. U can find the 1150 series cheap on ebay.

Revolution rest just work so fine and the price is below 50.

Oh ya. Congratz... Hope to c ur boy update n review soon.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if bfisher ever sends me my bow I can start tinkerin.....

I was planning on the carbon Apache. Code Red is a little cheaper tho, but out of stock where I am ordering thru.

The NAP 8" stabilizer is on the list also.

G5 is gonna hold the broadheads

Also seen a neat sight from G5, the Optix XR has 3 fixed pins and 1 floating pin, anyone use them? Little more than I want to spend but....not sure if thats the best option when a deer walks under stand and adjusting for yardage.

Still in the air for a sight. Is that 5th pin really needed? How flat do these bows shoot? Probably not gonna take a shot at a deer from 50 yards either tho. I do want the .19 pins for sure.

Thanks for all the input and replies!
    '07 Martin Pantera, QAD Ultra-rest Hunter, 4" Fuse Stabilizer, Thermal Grip, Norway String Tamer G, Limb Savers