Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oops!

So my onza has been a great bow for me so far really love the way it shoots, and etc. But i wanted to try and go with a half inch shorter draw just to see how it felt and if it could improve my accuracy a little. I understood how to adjust the mods on the nitro cams but i never adjusted it straight from the factory, it just felt good the way it was, so upon loosening the screw on my mod which apparently was way to tight cause i actually broke the end of my allen wrench off completley flush to the screw and have no "know how" to get the peice of my allen wrench out should i try to drill it out myself?, or leave it to the proffesionals?? why was it so tight to begin with?? i mean this thing must be cemented in lol.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WildWilt15 View Post
    So my onza has been a great bow for me so far really love the way it shoots, and etc. But i wanted to try and go with a half inch shorter draw just to see how it felt and if it could improve my accuracy a little. I understood how to adjust the mods on the nitro cams but i never adjusted it straight from the factory, it just felt good the way it was, so upon loosening the screw on my mod which apparently was way to tight cause i actually broke the end of my allen wrench off completley flush to the screw and have no "know how" to get the peice of my allen wrench out should i try to drill it out myself?, or leave it to the proffesionals?? why was it so tight to begin with?? i mean this thing must be cemented in lol.
    When the bearings were bad on the top cam of my Onza, my dealer recieved a new cam and module for the replacement. When we tried to remove the module from the new cam for adjustment it was the same as you are talking about, it was so tight that we had to drill the head off of the cap scew to get it loose. I ask the same question......."why"? There is no reason for the module screws to be tourqed that tight. The cap screw in your module will have to be drilled, the problem is that with with the peice of Allen wrench stuck in the screw head its going to be very tough to drill becuase the metal of the wrench is hardened. My advice is to get a Dremmel tool with a carbide burr and grind out the Allen wrench peice........then you can drill the head of the bolt out.............being very , very carefull. If you take your time and watch what you are doing you will be fine..
    Last edited by Thermodude; 08-02-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

What Thermodude says is correct, but being a novice I'd leave it to the professionals. One other little hint is that when you replace the screw us a little bowstring wax on the underside of the head. May as well do them all while you're at it. Many times the screws aren't tightened as tight as you might think. Just that aluminum and steel don't mate very well and gall (spelling) together. The string wax will help prevent this.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky enough to get the peice of allen wrench out of the screw without damaging the screw, but now i want to get the screw out its actually only the two screws on the bottom cam that are to tight to move. any ideas on how to get them out without damaging them so they dont have to be warrantied?
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

What were trying to do is heat it with a sauder gun to maybe be able to get it loose but if that doesnt work they might have to be drilled out i guess....
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if heat will work, I think the aluminum will expand faster than the metal capscrew but I may be wrong. Before I resorted to drilling I would some it over night in a very high quality penetrating oil. Then instead of using a standard Allen wrench I'd use an insert that you would find for a screw driver handle type and place it in a T handle type tap handle.........that will give you more torque plus the Allen wrench won't twist.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Heat on the screw will not work. It will only expand the screw more. The idea of using heat on any metal is to heat the area srrounding the threaded hole. In this case, the cam. As I said before, the screw is probably not tight in the threads, but the taper on the underside of the head where it mates againt the module. You might do as Thermodude said and use a good penetrating oil and tap the allen wrench a couple good shots to see if it jars things loose.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

we have had to deal with this problem i think 4times this summer all on martin cams. we are pretty good at drilling out and using ez out to remove screw. it really only takes 5-10 minutes. start with very small drill bit and gradually get larger up to i think 1/8th inch. screw will turn right out. a cheap extractor set will run u 10-20 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

allen head screws are inferior to torx imo. allen head wrenches are generally poor quality and that doesnt help with smaller screw sizes. the best penetrant for soaking stubborn screws/nuts/bolts i've used is pb blaster.
    http://blastercorporation.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by madman350 View Post
    allen head screws are inferior to torx imo. allen head wrenches are generally poor quality and that doesnt help with smaller screw sizes. the best penetrant for soaking stubborn screws/nuts/bolts i've used is pb blaster.
    http://blastercorporation.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4
    hahaha ya no kiddin ive gone thorugh a few allen wrenches now, this turned out just to be an expeiriment with my draw length now im just tryin to get the damn thing out. Iknow that the screw to replace the ones i have are probably like 7 cents a peice but im still gonna call up martin and have them send me matchin screws to the ones i got tomorrow.
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum