Thread: bowhunting Tips & tricks

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default bowhunting Tips & tricks

This is a thread to help pass on some of your tips & tricks. With are bow season 6 weeks long, one of the things I see is guy will shoot there bows up to the day the season starts then won't shoot it unless they are going to try and shoot a deer and then try to figure out what want wrong so take some time during the season to shoot your bow, thing get bumped around coming in and out of the woods lifting your bow up & down the tree.

I know everybody as something to share you may do something not nowing that a lot of guy have not tryed it because you have been doing it for so long so post up.
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

I've got two tips that have proven themselves over and over again for me. The first, do not contaminate your hunting area with scent before season. If you run trail cams, make sure that for the last 3 weeks before season, that you are scent free when you go in to check them. I see alot of guys go out and check cams right before season in their jeans ans work boots, get alot of good pics, then wonder why no deer are there when it's time to hunt. If they are not regularly exposed to human scent, the scent you leave behind checking cams can scare them away from an area, or make them go nocturnal for 2-3 weeks.
    Tip number 2. If you have taken or seen a good buck in a particular area or on a particular trail in years past, keep hunting that area unless something drastic has changed the landscape. If you took a good buck out of one stand last year, chances are VERY good that another good buck will be there this year. Big bucks like the same things, so if one is removed from the herd, another will step in to take over his ground. I have shot 4 P&Y bucks from the same trail in the last 4 years. 3 of them from the exact same tree stand. You know what stand I plan to hunt most this year. lol
    Last thing I'll say is, be as scent free as you can be. Even if it's just a spray like Dead Down Wind, or Scent Killer. Watch for bargains in Cabelas, Sportsmansguide, Bass Pro, and buy the stuff in gallons, and use it. I personally like Scent Lok suits, and still use the spray on everything. Bottoms of the boots are important too, not just the tops and sides. Using a Scent Lok suit, and spray, I have had a buck as close as 3 inches. Yep, inches. And he was downwind. Not a big buck, but any deer at that distance tells me something's working. I know someone is going to call BS on this, but it happened. Just never got a chance to get a pic of it.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call ehunter, I use sent away got it on sale paid 19 bucks for soap, detergent, dryer sheets, deodorant, and storage bag. To expand, while care will take care of some sent it will only reduce it. Do your scouting homework and try to set up with a wind advantage. As for a tip, I use a British activated charcoal chem suit, paid 30 bucks for never issued and vacuumed sealed. I resealed it after sent away washing with my vacuum sealer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    This is a thread to help pass on some of your tips & tricks. With are bow season 6 weeks long, one of the things I see is guy will shoot there bows up to the day the season starts then won't shoot it unless they are going to try and shoot a deer and then try to figure out what want wrong so take some time during the season to shoot your bow, thing get bumped around coming in and out of the woods lifting your bow up & down the tree.

I know everybody as something to share you may do something not nowing that a lot of guy have not tryed it because you have been doing it for so long so post up.
    I like to take a shot as I leave camp, to help loosen up and to make sure I'm still on. When at home , still take a shot in the backyard before leaving to hunt.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Don't pee where you hunt. Take a pee bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Don't pee where you hunt. Take a pee bottle.
    I do but I will put some doe pee over it and had buck come in to smell it and not be alarmed
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    I do but I will put some doe pee over it and had buck come in to smell it and not be alarmed
    When I first started bow hunting years ago I too was told to never pee in my hunting area so I took a container into the woods with me and then packed it out. As the years went buy I got more involved in the sport and ended up as a pro staff member of a game call company. I spent alot of time at trade shows doing seminars on bow hunting and listening to others speak on the same subject. I spoke with a number of biologists about this and was told that it made no difference whatsoever. Mammals are mammals, deer know something urinated in a given spot but cant tell what it was. The exception is when the human has ingested something out of the ordinary that alters their urine.................strong garlic for instance. Ever since I was told that I stopped worring about it and to be honest Ive had no problems at all.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thermodude View Post
    When I first started bow hunting years ago I too was told to never pee in my hunting area so I took a container into the woods with me and then packed it out. As the years went buy I got more involved in the sport and ended up as a pro staff member of a game call company. I spent alot of time at trade shows doing seminars on bow hunting and listening to others speak on the same subject. I spoke with a number of biologists about this and was told that it made no difference whatsoever. Mammals are mammals, deer know something urinated in a given spot but cant tell what it was. The exception is when the human has ingested something out of the ordinary that alters their urine.................strong garlic for instance. Ever since I was told that I stopped worring about it and to be honest Ive had no problems at all.
    I do know one thing you will spook them if they watch you I was in mid stream last year want a couple of doe walk in
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Bowhunting Tip

I don't know if any of you are familiar with "Deer Dander"....if not you should give it a try. I have always been very careful with my smell and my equipments odor.
    I have over the years tried many products. I always wash my hunting clothes in unscented soap, designed to destroy scent, I keep them in a scent free bag. I even have my towel for showering in the bag. I also shower with scent destroyer soap, use the scent free deodorant, and even brush my teeth with scent eliminator toothpaste........having said all of that, once I started using "Deer Dander" I started seeing more deer, and closer than before. I still use attractants...like acorn, apple, doe-in-heat, but when you spray yourself with "Deer Dander" somehow you smell like a deer, to the deer.
    Don't ask me how it works, because if you smell it, it doesn't smell like deer....but to the deer it does!
    I can guarantee you that it works!!!! It isn't something that you can buy at most box stores though. You have to goggle it to find the best price. The last few years that I have bought some, it came from the manufacturer......Fitzgerald Brothers.
    If any of you are thinking that I am full of it! I will be happy to post pictures of the last 2 bucks that I killed while using it.
    If you google it you will see ENDLESS!!! testimonials....it really works well, and no I am not a spoksman for the company.
    What I like best of all is, that you can be upwind of a deer, regardless of the sex or size..if they smell it they will stop!