Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bowhunting Tips & tricks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
    I agree with you on the scent. I like to set up around Wax Myrtle bushes. They give off a strong scent and in the warmer months it is at it's strongest. Break off a few boughs and put them in a bag with your hunting clothes for a cover scent. I've always been told that ticks don't like the odor of it but I can't give a verdict on that one way or the other. Maybe just an old wives tale.
    Well, are you getting any ticks while you're set up next to the Wax Mytle? Funny thing about those old wives tales, a lot of them are right on.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say. Did I get them on the bush? Did I get them on the way to the bush? Maybe it's wood ticks and not deer ticks... Whew! I think I'm getting a headache. But I know what you mean, I do have an old wife and if you ever tell her I said that.........
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

As for scents i dont really use any at all except for some scent away stuff that ill spray down with before going into the woods. When i wash my hunting clothes they get washed with all the other clothes with whatever detergent the the wife washes with. My buddy goes by the book when it comes to scent stuff. He washes all his hunting clothes in scent away stuff he takes a shower in it and all that jazz. Now since we have been hunting together on public land the past 3-4 years i see atleast 4-5 deer every other sit and kill 5-7 deer a year and 15-20 hogs, now my buddy on the other hand has only killed 1 hog. We sit about 100yrd apart and i know that when the deer pass me they are headed his way but never make it to him. Im not sure what he is doing wrong but i dont want whatever it is that he has or is using.

As for a tip its always something that i have wanted to try but dont have access to private land to try it on. At the end of hunting season put a mannequin in camo in the tree stand and every so often go and move him around in the off season. then come opening day shove him to the ground and take his place. My thinking on this would be that the deer would get real use to seeing someone or something in the tree and would get use to it and then they would think nothing of it. Then the day that you are there and they come slipping by they will never notice anything different. just my .02 cents on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of people putting old socks, etc. on the ground by their stand in the off season to get the deer used to their scent. Then the deer don't think twice when it's an actual person giving off the scent during season.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I have heard of people putting old socks, etc. on the ground by their stand in the off season to get the deer used to their scent. Then the deer don't think twice when it's an actual person giving off the scent during season.
    Kinda like the deer seeing the farmer working his fields every day, nothin to worry about, he's there every day. Sure worked for my Granddad, took a buck 11 years in a row on opening day, while feeding the cattle. Just carried his ole long octogon barreled model 1894 Winchester .30-30 in the truck during deer season.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Don't over bow your self what I mean is your shooting your 70 lb bow now it's warm but when your in a tree for hours and it cold you will have problems pulling it back when that buck shows up drop your poundage down a couple pounds right before the season
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED
    WALMART PRO STAFF SHOOTER

Post Thanks / Like

this month I will start doing some low light shooting the last half hour of daylight when a lot shots have taken place
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one, if you're hunting an area that's been burnt recently then hang your clothes up near a smokey fire of the same kind of vegetation that burned. Watch out for poison ivy though.
    Martin Jaguar #50
    GT Arrows
    Muzzy Phantoms
    Bowsight: Left Index Finger
    E.W. Bateman Cordovan Tab
    Barnett Jackal

The only failure that is disgraceful is the failure to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Arrow View Post
    Here's one, if you're hunting an area that's been burnt recently then hang your clothes up near a smokey fire of the same kind of vegetation that burned. Watch out for poison ivy though.
    A lot of guy are now using a smoker to smoke there closes I have a wood burner so I already get smoked
    MARTIN BENGAL
    THE NEED FOR SPEED

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    A lot of guy are now using a smoker to smoke there closes I have a wood burner so I already get smoked
    Yep TEN RING, you've been smoked for a long time!!!!!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com