Thread: Lowering limb poundage before pressing martin bows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowering limb poundage before pressing martin bows

I got my first press and will attempt to adjust my peep alignment....the guy i bought the press from said to check with the manufacturer on how to press and that some bows may need you to decrease the poundage...can anyone tell me if you need to do this with my onza3 ...the manual doesnt say anthing...have the bow on 60# now

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing you do know you don't need a bow press with a martin. If you knew that then next step. It is good practice to lower poundage. But that being said I don't always when adjusting the peep. It is simpler to adjust when at the correct shooting weight.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i knew that you could just lower the limbs, but that takes too long and i have hoyts too

about adjust the peep..how many turns on the top cam could you go before timing gets messed up...my peep is about 45 degress facing to the left so i loosened the string at the top one full turn...it seems closer but not dead centered yet...thinking of trying one more 1/2 turn

Post Thanks / Like

Your timing will not change by adding/subtracting twists in string, just cables. ur cables drive the cams. if this is ur first martin, now that u have a press, do yourself a favor and take the strings and cables off and measure them. u can trust manufacturers all u want but always verify.

Post Thanks / Like

good to know...learning something new every day....is there anything you can do when a string needs a quarter turn to align the peep....subtracting one more 1/2 twist puts my peep a little off the opposite side....guess this is where you adjust it with the d loop?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdhj View Post
    good to know...learning something new every day....is there anything you can do when a string needs a quarter turn to align the peep....subtracting one more 1/2 twist puts my peep a little off the opposite side....guess this is where you adjust it with the d loop?

well i no expert in tie peep or setting the peep dead center. but i still able to get my peep dead center, after hours or experiment, especially if your bow is not shoot at max out all the time.
    This is wat i did. i try add 1/2 on top, if its still not center. i try subtract 1/2 earlier on. and add at the bottom string. Well, it does work out on me. u can give a try, and im sure some other bro will advice you on this. and yes, the d-loop have to be consistant with the peep, else, your peep will end up side way at full draw.

happy shooting.
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daiwateampenn View Post
    well i no expert in tie peep or setting the peep dead center. but i still able to get my peep dead center, after hours or experiment, especially if your bow is not shoot at max out all the time.
    This is wat i did. i try add 1/2 on top, if its still not center. i try subtract 1/2 earlier on. and add at the bottom string. Well, it does work out on me. u can give a try, and im sure some other bro will advice you on this. and yes, the d-loop have to be consistant with the peep, else, your peep will end up side way at full draw.

happy shooting.
    do you need to twist in opposite directions for top in bottom to get the peep to go in the same direction...i subtracted on top and bottom...is that wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

twisting the string is not the only way to set your peep... For some you can just "train" it by continually twisting the peep at every shot. Eventually it will learn where to sit. However it takes patience lol.

You can also set it by trading strings from one side to the other... If it's a two slot, take one string from the right and rotate it around the back to the left, then take a string from the left and rotate it around the front to the right, repeat until the peep sits straight. Same process with the peeps that have 3 or more slots. Remember just because your strings may have 2 different colored string sets, doesn't mean the peep needs split between the two, just that it has the same number of threads on each side!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdhj View Post
    do you need to twist in opposite directions for top in bottom to get the peep to go in the same direction...i subtracted on top and bottom...is that wrong?
    you can start off with a point where u dont do two things in one time. try top, if it doesnt work, reset, and try bottom.

bro wabbit has suggested a good infos... sometimes u need to balance up the number of strand of the string..
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well everyone, with a well built string you should not have any peep turn, rotation or any kind of movement. Once you settle your string in, you adjust your string buy however many turns it takes to align it into the correct position. Thus when the bow is at rest the peep should be straight back in normal position. When you draw it should stay in normal position.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com