Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peterson's Bowhunting Magazine Review of the 2012 Bengal...anyone else read it...?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Peterson's Bowhunting Magazine Review of the 2012 Bengal...anyone else read it...?

so i read last night with eagerness...and kinda came away dissappointed........
    when it came to quietness it was pretty quiet, moderate level of vibration, the grip was very well regarded...............here's the biggee..............the speed was really dissappointing.....
    slow!!!!
    the tester shoots at 65lbs and 28 inch DL.......and 375 grains
    In a nut shell the mathews z7 shot during testing with the same magazine...like 304-306 fps
    which puts it at IBO spec basically....

the bengal was at 280fps...........which really puts it at a 305-310fps bow......
    dissapointing to say the least.......
    Not trying to bash or get a big argument on here going but dang.

am i off thinking that the bengal is a 305-310fps realistically......?
    i'm trying to make sense of the petersons bowhunting test......
    if i buy one next year...i want to know what these bows and this fury cam are really doing...

Post Thanks / Like

Only way your gonna know is go shoot one with your arrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if ya got to drive a distance then so be it.............i dont see any other way.....Or do like i did get one from a online store,i got mine from dicks and have 90 days to return it if not satisfied......if you dont like it send it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Add 5# to the draw weight, 2" to the draw length and subtract 25 grains from the arrow weight and see what it shoots.

Until you shoot one you will not know if YOU like it or not.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't pay any attention to what a magazine says about a bow. Of course they are going to talk up the "Big 3" because that's where their advertising money comes from.
    Until they have bow techs from each company set the bows up to peak performance, THEN test them, there'll never be a truly honest comparison. For all anyone knows, the Martin may have been out of time and out of tune. We all know that ruins speed and accuracy, causes vibration and noise, etc. And from what you stated, that's exactly what they had. An untuned bow.
    Gimme ANY bow, and I can make it shoot WELL under IBO if I want to. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

no referees, no judges, no inspector.

how to call for the count?

No count for me....
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the price difference?

Personally, I'm not willing to spend twice as much for a bow that shoots 10 fps more. Hunting whitetail in New York consists of shots to 30 yrds or less in 90% of the hunting situations. The Bengal far exceeds the needs of any hunting bow here. If you're hunting speed goats over waterholes in Wyoming out to 50-60 yds all the time then maybe the extra speed is warranted. But in that case I think its really specialized.

I just don't understand the whole speed infatuations, seriously, hunt with a rifle if you want super fast.

Just my 2 cents.
    "I love animals....they're delicious!!"

2012 Bengal Pro, Trophy Ridge Outlaw Sight, Trophy Ridge WB Sure Shot, Alpine BearClaw, Easton Flatlines, NAP Hellrazors, Truefire Huricane

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to AT, those Big 3 are a dime a dozen. Try to find a Martin/Rytera for get about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to know. I'm not a big speed guy but did get mine on a chrono finally just to see what was happening. I was getting 275 out of my setup. I'm sure there is some more that could be gained, but I don't have a chrono to sit down and really tinker with it until I find the optimal setup. Right now I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting. Accuracy is insane and the shot feels great - there isn't any vibration, period.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

2012 Bengal Pro was also tested in a recent issue of Bowhunting World Magazine. The review was positive. I try to find the magazine later to check about speed - I think they measured it.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

martin's web site lists them at 320- 330 fps