Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peterson's Bowhunting Magazine Review of the 2012 Bengal...anyone else read it...?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonza View Post
    2012 Bengal Pro was also tested in a recent issue of Bowhunting World Magazine. The review was positive. I try to find the magazine later to check about speed - I think they measured it.
    Speed tests of Bowhunting Word (August issue 2012 VOL 61 NO. 5):
    Arrow weight 385 grains 500 grains
    Arrow @ 70 pounds 319 fps 288 fps
    Arrow @ 60 pounds 294 fps 264 fps

Draw length was not given, but I suppose it was the IBO rating.

Martin specifies 320 - 330 fps speed. IBO specifications use a lighter arrow (350 grain). So it 319 fps was measured with a heavier arrow (385 grains), it should be well within specs!

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never shot the Bengal so I dont know if it performs the way its advertised or not but I have shot the Pantera with the same cam many, many times through my chrono..................72lbs, 29'dl, 362grn arrow...............................285-288 fps............the string isnt loaded up, I have an ultralight peep, string loop and Ive taken all the serving off that isnt needed............
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow weight 385 grains 500 grains
    Arrow @ 70 pounds 319 fps 288 fps
    Arrow @ 60 pounds 294 fps 264 fps

Draw length was not given, but I suppose it was the IBO rating.

Martin specifies 320 - 330 fps speed. IBO specifications use a lighter arrow (350 grain). So it 319 fps was measured with a heavier arrow (385 grains), it should be well within specs!
    Assuming this was potentially bare string? If not, mine is under by a good margin. I'm bottomed out on my 60# limb - card said max 64.4# - arrow around 375-380ish - 30"dl (GT Velocity 300 28", 100gr, Blazer, AcuNock) and was shooting 275. I have a Meta Peep, D-Loop and a pair of whiskers. I just redid my whiskers so they didn't have as much material on them. Makes me wonder if they were shooting a 500gr at 60# 10fps less than what I was getting, something has to be off ... Would think a little more would be possible, though 275 ain't nothing to shake a stick at with how well I shoot it.

Did have a string replacement done, didn't have speed nocks when I got it back - but added them with the measurements I received from Bill ... so hopefully those are slowing it up any ... idk.

I know you can't always trust calculators, but if you use them as a guide this is what I was able to get based off these assumptions with the test.
    speeds.jpg
    speed2.jpg
    Last edited by droppixel; 08-10-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: img
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to see strings and cables come in the proper lengths and i doubt they were pulled off and checked. also, I have never seen a deer in New York care how fast it was missed!!

Post Thanks / Like

If speed was really a big time deal, then the American Indians would of died out way before Columbus. I am just saying......

Post Thanks / Like

Been following this one for ah few days and wanted to throw my two cents in. I admit to the claims that speed isnt the biggest factor when it comes to the killing ability of a bow and arrow combination......................but it does make a somewhat forgiving bow "alot" more forgiving and it also saves the day sometimes when your judgement of yardage isnt up to par. Ive owned speed bows in the past, two cam and one cam, some shot great others I didnt like at all. The fact of the matter is that people really do pay attention to all the hype thats out there about how fast a given bow will shoot........like it or not it is a big deal, it sells bows! If a bow dosnt perform the way its advertised then it shouldnt be advertised that way...................Im not talking about a super tuned bow, Im talking about a bow that your average Joe buys, sets up, takes home and shoots along with the proper arrows.......................it should at least come close to the IBO speed that its advertised to shoot. Ive tunned and shot my Pantera with the Fury XT cam many, many times with my chrono and the bottom line is...............if it ever does make IBO it will be at the low end of the scale. Because of what I use this bow for that does matter to me because its my 3D rig and I need all the points I can get. The bow is very accurate and I really do like the bow, does it perform the way I think it should........no, but it is what it is. Bottom line is , like it or not speed really does matter.
    Last edited by Thermodude; 08-12-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow weight 385 grains
    Arrow @ 60 pounds 294 fps

This is what gets me. Even if my max was 60# (said before don't have a scale, so I don't know for sure - just going off the inspection card @ 64.4#) and shooting an arrow that is approx 10 grains lighter w/ whiskers, meta, loop find it hard to see how I am 20 fps under?

I'm more than pleased with the bow, honestly - but if I there is more that it can do I'd like to see it. Would an extra 20 come in handy in some spots, yeah I'm sure it would. Is it the end of the world if I never pick up that extra 20 or even 10 ... no.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

for the bow to only hit 280 fps in Petersons bow test with a 29 inch draw length and at 65lbs....
    I thought it was slow....slower than the advertised rating of 320-330......

I think it's to slow and not accurate for the speed rating that Martin gives it....
    will it kill deer.......yes, sure.

But the fact of the matter is that martins dont really ever hit there speed specs.....
    I just felt dissappointed to see that in the bow review.
    I was hoping that the 2012's were going to be more spot on with speed.
    Maybe 2013 or 2014 will be. & as usual i will be waiting, and waiting to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure they would make specs - would just like to see more information if possible on how to optimize the setup/tuning to do so. With the FuryXT - is there an optimal rotation for the cam, etc? I can't see them just arbitrarily slapping an IBO number on bows, there has to be a reason why they are advertised as such.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I'm sure they would make specs - would just like to see more information if possible on how to optimize the setup/tuning to do so. With the FuryXT - is there an optimal rotation for the cam, etc? I can't see them just arbitrarily slapping an IBO number on bows, there has to be a reason why they are advertised as such.

i do believe this to be the case.................someway and somehow they have gotten those bows to do the advertised speed.....but you must have to do some serious tweaking!