Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Averege group size

Petewp

Default Averege group size

Wow heres a question I never seem to get a decent answer to. Whats the average group size at say , 50 yards with a middle of the line GOOD compound bow. Something like the Bengal or Cheetah.

I keep getting indirect answers like "Im breaking arrows at 40 yards".

LOL well fine, but you could do that with a 10" group size eventually.

What are you guys averaging at the 40-50 yard line with a hunting bow similar to the ones mentioned? Im still on the learning curve so Id be glad to hear what you guys are doing!

Pete

xxx
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Petewp View Post
    Wow heres a question I never seem to get a decent answer to. Whats the average group size at say , 50 yards with a middle of the line GOOD compound bow. Something like the Bengal or Cheetah.

I keep getting indirect answers like "Im breaking arrows at 40 yards".

LOL well fine, but you could do that with a 10" group size eventually.

What are you guys averaging at the 40-50 yard line with a hunting bow similar to the ones mentioned? Im still on the learning curve so Id be glad to hear what you guys are doing!

Pete
    In the past this is what i've seen (I'm recovering from an injury so I get to re-learn a lot).

My group size at 50 meters with my Bengal, pins, a shorty stabilizer, is about the size of my palm. Sometimes a little bigger but not much. At 70 meters my pattern is a LOT bigger but about 20 inches across (my pin sight runs out of room after 50 meters). I would say you are looking at MY capability not the bows. My groups with my 8X scope and my slayer cranked up to 70#'s at 50 meters is about the size of a silver dollar just as an example.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably the reason you get such vague answers is because accuracy is more a functin of the archer's ability and not the bow. But that being said, if you can shoot pretty well you should be able to hold about 6" groups or so at 50 yards.

It will be easier with a longer A2A bow for sure. I don't shoot either of these bows simply because I don't care for ultra short bows, even with my 27" draw and 5'*' height. I do shoot the Pantera (2" longer) and when I'm having a good day I have shot sub-2" groups at 40 yards. Average days it'll be about 3-4" at 40 yards.

I don't do enough shooting at 50 anymore to give a definitive answer. The eyes are just too old for that stuff. Here again, it depends on YOUR ability.

Petewp

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I do shoot the Pantera (2" longer) and when I'm having a good day I have shot sub-2" groups at 40 yards. Average days it'll be about 3-4" at 40 yards.

I dont see the Pantera in their line up... is the Mystic comparable to that?
    It seems like the Scepter is just too too over the mark for me budget wise. I cant dig up anything on the MYSTIC on google in so far as price - or even a review. Whats the price here? Is it anymore easier to shoot than the Bengal. Im set on the Bengal but if the Mystic is akin to the Pantera Id be interested in considering that. I dont care about blazing speed or vicious looking cams. I want a machine that is accurate - period. Or makes it come easier.

Can you give me the skinny on the Mystic? Is it a Scepter at a good price?

Should I stay with the Bengal?

Many thanks.

Pete

flytier17

Scepter will be $800+. The Mystic won't be cheap either.

Pantera was discontinued as of this year. Comparable model is MOAB. Almost no difference. Pantera was 35".

I believe bfisher's Pantera has Nitrous Dual cams which will be more accurate than the M-Pro solocam. Tha Nitrous cams were also discontinued.

Scepter and Mystic are target bows, and thus very accurate, esp. with Furious-X cams. The Slayer and Firecat would be next on the list of accuracy due to their Hybrid cams, and level of engineering.

Lastly, I would choose the bows with a solocam. A solocam is not designed for X-ring precision, but rather for smootheness, and ease of adjustability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flytier17 View Post
    Scepter will be $800+. The Mystic won't be cheap either.

Pantera was discontinued as of this year. Comparable model is MOAB. Almost no difference. Pantera was 35".

I believe bfisher's Pantera has Nitrous Dual cams which will be more accurate than the M-Pro solocam. Tha Nitrous cams were also discontinued.

Scepter and Mystic are target bows, and thus very accurate, esp. with Furious-X cams. The Slayer and Firecat would be next on the list of accuracy due to their Hybrid cams, and level of engineering.

Lastly, I would choose the bows with a solocam. A solocam is not designed for X-ring precision, but rather for smootheness, and ease of adjustability.

Alec has explained it pretty well. My choice in the 2008 lineup for a hunting bow would be the MOAB. I'm not real crazy about these ultra-short bows these days. I've been around a few decades and know what shoots the best.

That being said, I'm still waiting for my new FireCat. I get my bows for mostly 3D with hunting just a slight passtime. Afterall, there are 12 months in a year and hunting season is only in for 2 of them. And I shoot my bows on average 4 days a week all year long, except for the weeks I'm off scuba diving at some exotic island somewhere.

Besides, I have a 2005 ShadowCat SE that is my hunting bow. The Pantera was very similar to the MOAB, only two inches longer. Of course mine has Nitrous X camson it. I'm a speed freak and love the X system.

You know what else? This flytier17 guy is not 17 any more. He's really 19. I do have to give him his due. He's pretty articulate for his age and length of his shooting career. Take a hint Alec. Change the user name. Just ribbing ya.

Petewp

Default ...

Frankly I dont get the guys who get a bow for hunting ONLY. Wow talk about a short season.

The short bow thing.... I really dont get it. OK, its better in a ground blind and ok, less size, less opportunity to hang up on a twig during a stalk. It seems like a negligible thing tho. And too, you have these immense cams jutting out from either limb so its actual dimensions are still pretty steep regardless where the limb is. . I understand the geometry benefit of having the A@A greater, but Im speaking on compactness only. Itd be interesting to know what the dimensions on from cam tip to cam tip compared to the scepters or other target bows A2A.

Back to the season though - and sure after freezing for the season I guess its great to take a break, but to stop totally till late summer or fall. Even with rifles Id hit the range after season was over - oh heck - even while it was still going on.

Pete

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete,

Here in my neck of the woods our Winter 3D league (outside) starts right before Christmas. Our extended archery season starts the day after Christmas. That's one reason I have a dedicated 3D bow. It's either that or like in the past I set my bow up and super tune it to the gills till both field tips and broadheads shoot to the same POI.

There is no such thing as "the off-season". Off season is when I don't get to shoot my bows and that happens to fall in with the archery deer season.

J-Daddy

Default groups

Well if I'm shooting good on any given day at 50yds "with a hunting setup" I can normally pull off some 4" groups...If I'm not shooting good they'll open up to 7" or so most of the time. It all depends on me on a given day...Heck I've had a couple of good days and shot a 3" group at 80yds. That's not gonna happen very many times but it has happened before.
    When the weather gets a little warmer here in Iowa and I get my new strings & cables in for my Slayer I'll let you know how it does out to 80yds in hunting trim.

flytier17

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Alec has explained it pretty well. My choice in the 2008 lineup for a hunting bow would be the MOAB. I'm not real crazy about these ultra-short bows these days. I've been around a few decades and know what shoots the best.

That being said, I'm still waiting for my new FireCat. I get my bows for mostly 3D with hunting just a slight passtime. Afterall, there are 12 months in a year and hunting season is only in for 2 of them. And I shoot my bows on average 4 days a week all year long, except for the weeks I'm off scuba diving at some exotic island somewhere.

Besides, I have a 2005 ShadowCat SE that is my hunting bow. The Pantera was very similar to the MOAB, only two inches longer. Of course mine has Nitrous X camson it. I'm a speed freak and love the X system.

You know what else? This flytier17 guy is not 17 any more. He's really 19. I do have to give him his due. He's pretty articulate for his age and length of his shooting career. Take a hint Alec. Change the user name. Just ribbing ya.
    Ha-ha, WRONG!

I am still 17.