Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuning Trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning Trouble

I have been trying to paper tune my bow and cannot tune out the left tear. I am shooting goldtip xt hunter 7595 arrows cut to 28" with 100grain tips. my bow is turned up to around 70#. Not sure on the exact dw but should be close. I do not know were I need to go from here with tuning. Do I just need to turn my bow down or is there somthing I am missing?
    2011 Pantera 55-70#dw 28"dl

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot a bare shaft, if it goes through clean I would look for fletching contact on your rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention I am using a wisker biscuit rest so fletching contact is out of the question.

Post Thanks / Like

With your 27" DL, the 7595's are going to be too stiff with 100gr points even at 70#'s. The 5575's would spine out perfect cut to 28" with 100gr points at 70#'s. You may be able to get the 7595's to work, but you'll need to go up to at least 125gr points and probably have to play around with the idler lean and center shot to get the left tear out. If you have wraps under the vanes, remove them as they will also increase an arrows spine and refletch using a small light weight vane such as a 2" blazer, fuzion or predator. Adding weight to the nock end increases spine while adding weight to the front decreases spine.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Well I need to check for sure but my actual dl is 28 to 28 1/2". According to the gt arrow chart this is the arrow I need. I have some 5575s but cant get them to tune either. One interesting note the xt hunters are a 340 spine but I also have some xt velocities wich are a 300 spine. My velocities with a screw in 100 grain tip dont tune either but I have 2 that have 100 grain glue in points that shoot perfectly through paper. Why is this because there is less weight at the front of the shaft cause there is no insert I really dont want to get new arrows but if I have to I have to i guess. Unless you guys think a 125 grain point will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Holey batman! archer 7 that was a mouth full , dose seem that u narrowed it down. ONE OF THOSE DO DADS SHOULD FIX IT ! cant think that ur wrong should do him right!GOOD LUC!
    Last edited by polaris754; 08-08-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    With your 27" DL, the 7595's are going to be too stiff with 100gr points even at 70#'s. The 5575's would spine out perfect cut to 28" with 100gr points at 70#'s. You may be able to get the 7595's to work, but you'll need to go up to at least 125gr points and probably have to play around with the idler lean and center shot to get the left tear out.
    I disagree. Too stiff arrow should not be a problem. In contrast, too weak arrow can cause tear sideways.

A couple of questions:
    - do you have the arrow rest set at the correct height (arrow is at the height of the arrow rest's mounting hole)?
    - have you checked cam lean?

With my previous bow (Hoyt CRX 32) I could not get rid of a slight left tear even though I adjusted the cam lean to zero. However, I achieved good results with broadhead tuning: same point of impact with field points. At that point, I decided not to worry about the slight tear in paper. It was kind of strange because I think you should get equal results with both tuning methods - that is, same point of impact with field tips/broadheads would mean a bullet hole in paper.

How long is the left tear?

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

My tear is about 1.25 inches from 10 feet. I have set cam lean as close to zero as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

You can increase tuneabilty by refletching with Gateway Rayzrs which are 500% lighter than plastic vanes, according to their information in the Lancaster catalog. They claim to increase the usable spine range of your Arrrows. Feathers also provide more stabilty than vanes do, the down side to feathers is they have more air drag, and will decrease your arrow speed out past 50 yds.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cnight View Post
    My tear is about 1.25 inches from 10 feet. I have set cam lean as close to zero as possible.
    OK... And naturally you have tried to adjust the arrow rest sideways.

- are you sure you have not over-adjusted the rest to the right so that there would be fletching contact to the riser?
    - what about your grip hand - do you think you have a correct grip with no squeezing (that could induce torque)? I have seen incorrect grip cause tear in paper test.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003