Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Onza 3 centershot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Before we go much further I want to add my $.02. From what I see and your explanation I think you went the wrong way. You added twists to the cables making them shorter. YOu took twists out of the string which made it longer. From the picture I think your cams are highly over rotated and why the draw weight is so high.

You obviously have a shop of some kind at hand and aren't afraid to play around. I would suggest that you take the string and cables off the bow measure them and twist or untwist till you get them to factory suggested length. Essentially starting over. Put it back together and see what you got.
    Bfisher, which picture looks like my cam is overrotated.other posts on here said I should advance them . isn't that the same as rotating them.I think I'm confused?
    Onza 3,2012 Prime shift,Perrys no peepQAD,tru glo extreme.Titespot.P&Y measurer.

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom pic in post #33. Looks like the cam could be rotated counter clockwise more. Maybe it's just me, but this might be why the draw weight is so high. Cales are too short and string too long. Although I have 1.5 cams I'll see if I can post some pics of them tomorrow for comparison.

In answer to your last questions, it won't hurt the bow to shoot it at 63#. I ordered a 50# bow this year that actually came through at 54.2#. Being as I only shoot 45# or so I made some major changes to the rigging. I don't worry about factory specs. I set a bow up the way I want it to feel and the heck with the specs. I make my own. They are what they are.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

you are right bfisher.I did just that,but I also advanced both cams so the gap was less.you are right in noticing the top cam had a smaller gap than the bottom, this is a great forum, thanks all for help,buckslayr
    Onza 3,2012 Prime shift,Perrys no peepQAD,tru glo extreme.Titespot.P&Y measurer.

Post Thanks / Like

Buckslayr - your best bet would be to just pull all the rigging off and get it set dead on factory lengths.
    I think that will put all your specs where they should be.
    Fine tuning it after that will only take a twist or two to perfect it.
    If you have the correct limbs for a 60# bow and it max's at almost 70# - something is set up wrong.

Ehunter - it may just be the angle of the pics / lighting or whatever but - just from the pics - your cams dont appear to be in time at all.
    Look at the distance from the cable to the outer hole in the cams. Also where the cables are resting in the mods.
    Again - it may only be the photos that make it look off...

Post Thanks / Like

Spiker, I think it's just the angle of the photos. The string comes off the cams at the same place on both at full draw. The cables lay across the same spot on the mods at rest as well. My bow was hanging cockeyed when I took the pics. They weren't the best pictures. lol
    Last edited by Ehunter; 08-15-2012 at 04:37 AM.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Ley's say I was to pull all my strings off and measure them, how would I go about stretching them to get the right specs, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of my 1.5 cams showing how I have them oriented. What I did was took twists out of the cables and added twists to the string. Notice how the string comes off the cam straighter. While were into terminology I call this advancing the cams. Two bows exactly the same and a2a and brace height are within 1/16" of factory specs. Also, on the module side notice that the string passes over the the module between the 1st and 2nd hole. Moving the orientation like this makes the bow feel a little smoother on the draw. Only other modification is to move the module and draw stop where I need them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I took my strings off and string was right on at 56.75. 1 cable was 38, 1 was 37 7/8. that is probably from my twisting to get cams timed.I might have stumbled on my speed problem.I looked at my old strings and they have 22 strands in the string and 18 in the cables. The new set I put on has 24 strands of 452x in all of them, could this make the difference.If so approx. how much speed could I lose.I hope this is the problem??Who do you guys recommend to build me a set of new strings if this is the problem?
    Last edited by buckslayr; 08-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that was a typo. 7/8" difference between the cables would mean the cams could never have been even close in sync. I honestly don't think the number of strands or the material would amount to such a speed drop. Maybe a few fps but not what you are experiencing. If your old strings were factory then they were most likely BCY Trophy as that is what Martin is using. It's supposedly a little faster than 452, but it's very marginal.

As for who I'd recommend for s string maker? Well, being as I've had a few custom strings I'd have to recommend Hutch. His seem to be as good as anybody I've tried, and I'm picky. I'm very pleased with the string Hutch made for my Nemisis.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I hope that was a typo. 7/8" difference between the cables would mean the cams could never have been even close in sync. I honestly don't think the number of strands or the material would amount to such a speed drop. Maybe a few fps but not what you are experiencing. If your old strings were factory then they were most likely BCY Trophy as that is what Martin is using. It's supposedly a little faster than 452, but it's very marginal.

As for who I'd recommend for s string maker? Well, being as I've had a few custom strings I'd have to recommend Hutch. His seem to be as good as anybody I've tried, and I'm picky. I'm very pleased with the string Hutch made for my Nemisis.
    thanks, it was a typo.I am wondering also if my haveing the riser and limbs dipped would change any specs. the limbs did go into the cups pretty tight. anyway, thanks all for the help,