Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Looking at trading my Silencer for a Hoyt. Talk me out of it

Post Thanks / Like

Default HELP!!! Looking at trading my Silencer for a Hoyt. Talk me out of it

just as the title implies. i have a silencer. and it works but nothing that was completely blown me away. im considering trading it for a hoyt. tell me why i should.
    my silencer is loud. cams ARE sync! i dont have a string stopper on there. is a 2011. something just feels off. dont know why.
    hoyt im looking at a 35 ATA 6"brace(yes i know its short!) 60-70(silencer is 45-60, bums me out) 340 fps and multiple people are exceeding that speed. tell me why i shouldnt trade. good reasons why not just "its hoyt" or stuff like that because i use to shoot for hoyt. and shot martin too. so i have no problems with either company

Post Thanks / Like

Do whatever you want. Add a string stopper and whiskers to the Silencer ... and it will be Silent. Do you feel more comfortable shooting 60# vs. 70#? Don't get caught up too much in the speed game, the Hoyt probably isn't going to give you that much of a noticeable difference really. If you are shooting accurately and consistent with the Silencer, why bother trading it for another bow you could potentially have the same questions about?
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Tell you what, GIVE me your Silencer, then you won't be tempted to TRADE it on a Hoyt.

Seriously though, if your Silencer doesn't have a string stop on it, you need one. Since its a 2011, it came with a TRG/SOS setup, and if the the SOS is bad or missing it will be loud (I shot my Onza w/out any type of string stop, and it was extremely loud). If there's no damage from the TRG, Martin may not do a warranty exchange, but you can order the regular rod/slide and STS stop setup for it.

If you're not impressed with the speeds or performance of your 60# Silencer, remember that in order to hit the faster speeds with a lower poundage bow, you'll need to shoot lighter arrows. The difference between a 60# and a 70# shooting the same arrow is about 20 fps, so to get the faster speed out of a 60# you'll need to shoot an arrow about 25 grains lighter.

In the end however, you need to do what's right for you!
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

if the martin is just not for you and you are not happy with it and would feel better with a hoyt then trade away.you have to go with what ever is best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

K, I'll try and talk u out...ARE U FRIKKIN CRAZY? Just kiddin, but unless ur a young strong kid that
    60lb gonna be plenty fast and ur shoulders will thank u later on in life. I have a pantera at 58 lb and on a cooollld morning its still easy to pull back. But I am 53 and 70 lb just to much in a hunting situation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasePohl View Post
    just as the title implies. i have a silencer. and it works but nothing that was completely blown me away. im considering trading it for a hoyt. tell me why i should.
    my silencer is loud. cams ARE sync! i dont have a string stopper on there. is a 2011. something just feels off. dont know why.
    hoyt im looking at a 35 ATA 6"brace(yes i know its short!) 60-70(silencer is 45-60, bums me out) 340 fps and multiple people are exceeding that speed. tell me why i shouldnt trade. good reasons why not just "its hoyt" or stuff like that because i use to shoot for hoyt. and shot martin too. so i have no problems with either company
    You just have to go with what feels better,if it's hoyt then so be it.........Just remember that martin has great customer service.....that goes a long ways..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi JP. I'll give you plenty of reasons why you shouldn't trade your Martin for a Hoyt. I've been shooting Hoyt for the last 9 years and this year was the first year that I purchased a non-Hoyt bow, an Onza 3. I assume you are looking at the Vector Turbo? It is a very nice bow. But the RKT cams are harsh to draw even though they are very fast. I chose the Onza 3 over the Vector 32 this year because Martin has a better draw and back wall with the nitro cams than Hoyt has with their cam and a half system. And the speed out of the Martins are decent enough for any animal or tournament. I had a total pass-through on a Kudu bulla and an eland about 3 weeks ago with the Onza! I will also choose the Cougar FC above the Vector Turbo.

Do what is best for you, I'm sure you will be able to silence your Silencer with a string stop and cat whiskers as mentioned previously. But do what is best for you, these are just my opinions.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

hey do what you want......have you even shot this hoyt....? the draw will be harsher...and customer service won't even compare to Martin's...........not even close bro!

Like others have said 60lbs is plenty fast
    get a sts system on it if you want it quieter. there's cheap ways to make your silencer better.
    you could just sell it and get a Martin Onza.

I won't lie the hoyt is a nice bow, but there are some draw backs with hoyt......

good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. Put an STS and whiskers on it, and you shouldn't hear from it again. If you really like the Hoyt and have shot it, then go for it. I'd try the whiskers and STS first though.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JasePohl View Post
    You can trade your bow multiple times the fact is if you use it for hunting, its all about shot placement and being comfortable with the bow you are shooting. I personal have a silencer 70# basically the way they tested them and I am blown away. I came from an old Martin Cougar so it was a day and night change for me.
    2011 Martin Silencer 70# 29.5
    QAD Ultra Rest, G5 Optix Sight, G5 Meta Peep
    BowJax Stab, BowJax Limb Saver, SlimJax , BowJax Guide Rod Damper
    USMC
    "Be Polite, Be Professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen James Mattis USMC