Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Looking at trading my Silencer for a Hoyt. Talk me out of it

Post Thanks / Like

Many good points above.

I recently changed my Hoyt CRX 32 to Martin Onza 3 so I may have something to say I just hated the fuel cams of Hoyt - and if the one you are looking for has RKT cams, they are not much different: even though the cams are smooth otherwise, the transition to let-off is abrupt, thus it is hard to draw smoothly all the way back. And if you relax just a little and let it creep just a little bit in full draw, the cams roll over without warning. I have seen several accidential shots because of this (including myself). The danger is especially high when hunting or training for hunting, when you often cannot use the basic posture for shooting. I thought I would get used to Hoyts cams but after 4 months I gave up. And I have seen guys with years of ownership to struggle with them still.

I can't understand why Hoyt brings basically the same cam system to the market year after year, without making significant improvements. XTR, Fuel or RKT cams - there really is no difference. Onza 3 makes me smile every time I shoot it - with Nitro cams, it is a pleasure to draw and shoot and it is STABLE in full draw - even if you relax a little. I would never change it back to the Hoyt I had.

My Onza 3 was relatively loud (cams in sync) but installing slipjax to the strings made a huge difference (I even measured it with a dB meter). It is still somewhat louder than Hoyt CRX, but no longer matters to me.

Many new Hoyts are difficult to tune for broadheads. Tuning involves working with cable yokes - the bow may not respond to tuning the arrow rest location sideways. Same is true for some Bowtechs such as Invasion CPXL. No such problem with Onza 3, which obeys traditional tuning methods.

So I have no experience about Silencer, but if you are serious about Hoyt, you should at least carefully test one before purchase.
    Last edited by Phantonza; 08-14-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Rytera Nemesis, 2012
    Martin Onza 3, 2011
    Hoyt CRX 32, 2011 (SOLD)
    Martin Phantom II, 2003

Post Thanks / Like

It's simple...Shoot both and keep the one you like to shoot and feels right.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got two of them and both are extremely quiet, but then they have the string stop and whiskers on them as previously mentioned. As for speed...both bows are pretty darned fast (almost 300fps with 440gr arrows)...and Martin customer service is unbeatable! Just my two cents.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    I've got two of them and both are extremely quiet, but then they have the string stop and whiskers on them as previously mentioned. As for speed...both bows are pretty darned fast (almost 300fps with 440gr arrows)...and Martin customer service is unbeatable! Just my two cents.
    Pretty sweet to see almost 300 with 440gr - what are you getting out of your 60#er?
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    hey do what you want......have you even shot this hoyt....? the draw will be harsher...and customer service won't even compare to Martin's...........not even close bro!
    Maybe so but the hoyt I owned never needed to call cs about anything with it. My martin/rytera has been to the factory4+ times in a 1yr....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    Maybe so but the hoyt I owned never needed to call cs about anything with it. My martin/rytera has been to the factory4+ times in a 1yr....
    Every time I see a post saying someone has so many sets of limbs or whatever makes me wonder what that person or the bow tech that does the work is doing wrong.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP, I have a Silencer that is dead in the hand and quiet. Spend a little money for a STS, it will make a huge difference. Better than spending a lot on another bow you might not like.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJunior View Post
    Every time I see a post saying someone has so many sets of limbs or whatever makes me wonder what that person or the bow tech that does the work is doing wrong.
    I take great care of my bows and ive had my onza for 3 months and already need new limbs. Im giving it a second chance but if i have to send it in again for limbs issues it might find a new home. its not that its a bad bow i love it, never shot a more accurate/forgiving bow but its not worth the trouble if everytime im gonna finally get it broke in it has to go back to the factory. My dads onza had cracks in the limbs in the exact same spot i did, ive now seen multiple cases of bad power tough limbs the issue should be attended to quickly.
    Martin x-200 unsure of year
    2011 Mathews z7magnum
    2012 Mathews z7magnum
    2014 Mathews ChillR (on order)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Pretty sweet to see almost 300 with 440gr - what are you getting out of your 60#er?
    Speed on 60# bow is nearly the same, but shooting 380gr arrows instead.
    -2011 Martin Silencer 63# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .029 sight, Alpine Whisperflite drop away rest, Alpine 5 arrow quiver, G5 1/4" Meta Peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Warrior and Expedition Hunter (385gr), G5 Montec
    -2011 Martin Silencer, 73# 29.5", Limbsaver prism elite .019 sight, QAD Ultra Rest Pro LD, Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver, 1/4" G5 Meta peep, Carbon Express 8" stabilizer, Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 7595 camo (441gr), G5 Montec BH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    Speed on 60# bow is nearly the same, but shooting 380gr arrows instead.
    Very nice ... I'm running around 375gr out of my Bengal at 60-64# ... I know I can get some more juice out of it, but know I will eventually be looking for a bow with the Nitro/Hybrix cams. Silencer is one that I had gave a good look at prior to picking up the Alien I had before the Bengal arrived.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff