Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need for speed!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Hey dp, does your Bengal have idler serving?
    Hutch
    It does ...
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Questions: why do the manufacturers put so much serving on if it will can gain 20fps w/out it?
    Second question: other then the obvious signs of wear/tear, when should a string be replaced?
    Also, cool string!
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by typically8 View Post
    Questions: why do the manufacturers put so much serving on if it will can gain 20fps w/out it?
    Second question: other then the obvious signs of wear/tear, when should a string be replaced?
    Also, cool string!
    Most strings are manufactured. Servings are left long to accommodate variances in the bow. Gaining 20fps out of the bow is not all done by removal of servings. I gained approx. 12fps just by adjusting the servings and removing the idler servings. Also I installed speed nocks. That actually made a great difference. The I tuned it by advancing the cam slightly. All of that works together. Oh also the string is only 22 strand. In other words 1fps hear and there adds up.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, that's something that a lot of guys don't understand. They think a change that only amounts to 2 or 3 fps isn't worth the hassle, and I do agree, but with several changes the cumulative effect can be much greater. I've tuned a lot of bows over the years, mine and others and in almost all cases I can take an average hunting rig and get 20 to 30 fps more speed out of them by paying attention to every detail.

Now some guys say they aren't into the speed thing and that's fine for them, but I always figure if you're going to spend the money to get a newer faster bow then why not take the time to get the full potential out of it.

And another thing. The clock showing our posting times is off 25 minutes ---- again.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say this has me inspired to tinker with mine even more. I'm pretty sure there should be some gains to be made on the 2012 ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Gotta say this has me inspired to tinker with mine even more. I'm pretty sure there should be some gains to be made on the 2012 ...
    Well dp, look at it this way. My bow is Ibo rated to do 315 to 320 fps. I think it should be able to do at least 290 fps. With my heavier arrows that is one reason it shot slower. Now arrows are just one thing. Image going down the list and fixing everything. That is called super tuning or advance tuning most don't do it.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Well dp, look at it this way. My bow is Ibo rated to do 315 to 320 fps. I think it should be able to do at least 290 fps. With my heavier arrows that is one reason it shot slower. Now arrows are just one thing. Image going down the list and fixing everything. That is called super tuning or advance tuning most don't do it.

Hutch
    What is ur draw weight/length, arrow weight? I feel the same about the FXT - think it should be in the 290-300 range based on other reports I have seen in other threads. Still a lot to be learned about this cam and how it likes to be set up. I think figuring out the proper rotation advanced/retarded will be a big thing for these. I'll get around to it all eventually. Probably after this season when I'll be able to pick up a chrono or build on of the coils ... might be able to squeeze it in before the season, but it might be too close to start really playing with things. I think the new string is going to be the first start though.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I did.
    1. built a new string with the least amount of serving I could get away with and be safe. (no idler serving)
    2. built the string 22 strands and not 24
    3. Adjusted the bow to the correct specs
    a. Axle to axle @ first dead on the correct spec. Then re-corrected after all the other specs were done.
    b. Brace Height. dead on.
    c. Draw weight. was off so I corrected the Axle to axle and put it a tad short.
    d. Draw length. Correct
    e. Check the draw to see the valley and the forward motion. Twisted the cable to the cam and rotated the cam forward.
    f. attached 1 speed nock and shot through the chrono. Added more speed nocks after finding the place for gain of speed.
    g. attached Cat Whiskers in a smaller form to not take away too much speed I gained.

Something to think about!! if you gain 3fps here and 2fps there you have already gained 5 do that 2 more times and its 10fps which can make a big difference.

If I add a drop away I will gain even more speed.

I think I got the speed bug.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    What is ur draw weight/length, arrow weight? I feel the same about the FXT - think it should be in the 290-300 range based on other reports I have seen in other threads. Still a lot to be learned about this cam and how it likes to be set up. I think figuring out the proper rotation advanced/retarded will be a big thing for these. I'll get around to it all eventually. Probably after this season when I'll be able to pick up a chrono or build on of the coils ... might be able to squeeze it in before the season, but it might be too close to start really playing with things. I think the new string is going to be the first start though.
    Unless you have unlimited time I'd wait. It takes some time. I have a very short draw 27" my arrows are close to 390 grains. The bow was done at max pounds 71lbs. This I believe is the best way to do it. Then turn down the dw.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have unlimited time I'd wait. It takes some time. I have a very short draw 27" my arrows are close to 390 grains. The bow was done at max pounds 71lbs. This I believe is the best way to do it. Then turn down the dw.

Hutch
    Yeah this will probably have to be for after this season. I just punched in the numbers on the "calculators" and your numbers are coming out a good bit higher than what you are getting ... so that is a plus. Seeing that my DW is less, around 64# but my DL is 30" and arrow weight is around 375-380ish I'd like to think there is definite room for improvement. Really good post and exciting stuff here!