Thread: What the heck bow have I bought?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What the heck bow have I bought?

Hello Bowyers,

My name is Jack I am a neophyte to archery, I have no desire to hunt deer just target practice, in preparation for the impending zombie apocalypse. Last time I picked-up a bow was 37yrs ago in high school. Found a Martin Compound for $10usd last month, needs a string, cables are OK and it's 42.5" ATA and that's all I know.

I would appreciate any help identifying the model, possible age. Sorry I cannot provide better pics, camera on the fritz. Both cams appear to be perfectly round and molded, I think Martin called these speed-wheels. There are 2 casting marks on the riser. One stamped on the upper right-side a round emblem, a deers head surrounded by 3 arrowheads and Martin Archery Inc. The other mark, cast inside the lower limb craddle also round, an illegible character at the center surrounded by a 12 segmented ring, 6 of these segments contain a small star or asterisk.

I would like to stripe, powder-coat, replace the missing wood emblem, and re-string maybe even better cams. Can anyone help identify or point me in the right direction?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what bow that is but you payed 10.00 to much......you can do better than that with a cheeta or 06-07 jaguar or saber and have a way better experience.....
    But im sure somebody will come along and ID that bow for you.............good luck with it ............

Oh and welcome to Martin forums..............

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I dont know what bow that is but you payed 10.00 to much......you can do better than that with a cheeta or 06-07 jaguar or saber and have a way better experience.....
    But im sure somebody will come along and ID that bow for you.............good luck with it ............

Oh and welcome to Martin forums..............
    Well Speedy, Some like the older ones even I have a bow close to that age. That bow is in the Mid 80's or Early 90's It could be one of many but my guesses are Cougar, Saber, or Bengal

This bow is a 1983 M-15 Cougar Magnum and appears to be older then the bow trying to be identified.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very similar to the old Lynx that I took apart, about a mid 80's bow. Sorry that I can't be any more help than that.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Looks very similar to the old Lynx that I took apart, about a mid 80's bow. Sorry that I can't be any more help than that.
    Your probably right on that Lynx was pretty popular back then.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

This is a 1987 lynx

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow that was fast...

WOW, You gentlemen are fast, at least now I have a starting point, Thank You. Like I said it will only be used on targets in my backyard. Now I can check prices for strings and such, see if it's worth it. I know those new (highly engineered) bows are great, that said they're expensive and designed for hunting, that's more than I need.

Question: Do they still make (and sell) those wooden Lynx emblems?

BTW, if this becomes cost ineffective I can always save up for a newer bow, I'll only be out the original $10usd.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Hutch, that is the exact bow I was using before I purchased my scepter V earlier this year. Always wondered what year it was from although I knew it was early 80's.

Good luck on your Zombie killing quest Jra. I have seen some "zombie" themed paper targets out on the web BTW. Also on side note when you run out of arrows, make sure to have a nice flanged mace at your belt. Best melee wpn for zombie skull smashing IMO!
    Durandal
    Scepter V
    53.4 # 29.5 DL
    Victory HV Arrows
    Finger Shooter "Instinctive"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jra61 View Post
    WOW, You gentlemen are fast, at least now I have a starting point, Thank You. Like I said it will only be used on targets in my backyard. Now I can check prices for strings and such, see if it's worth it. I know those new (highly engineered) bows are great, that said they're expensive and designed for hunting, that's more than I need.

Question: Do they still make (and sell) those wooden Lynx emblems?
    BTW, if this becomes cost ineffective I can always save up for a newer bow, I'll only be out the original $10usd.
    Don't think that Martin still makes them, and I can't remember what happened to the one off my old Lynx, but I do have the rigging, tear drop cables and all, if you are interested, cover the postage and its yours. Just send me a PM.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 08-22-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's really nice of you ES. I knew there was something I liked about you. I was going to tell Jack that considering the age of the bow and what it's worth to just put a new string on it and go shooting.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver