Thread: Settling in period?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Settling in period?

I picked up an overstock '09 Firecat Pro X recently, with the Cat 2 cams - I'm impressed so far. The strings are stable and the bow is shooting very well. The thing that struck me, and the reason for the post, is that this bow really seems to have settled in after some shooting. I'm not sure if a break in period is proper to say, but it just feels better now than the early shots - not that they were bad. Maybe I'm getting used to it, but I've owned a lot of bows and this is the first that I remember that a noticeable change seems to have occurred, in a positive way.

Anyone else have this type of experience with their bows?

Post Thanks / Like

All good, there is something people would say a settling in period. Getting things working, the strings sort of settle after they have been shot some. Go back and check all your hardware to make sure it is snug and check specs just to make sure nothing has gotten too far out of spec since putting some shots on it. hope you like it, enjoy shooting!
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same thing with my '09 Firecat. After about 75-100 shots, it changed. For the better. Great bow to start with, fantastic afterwards. All the specs stayed the same, but it was shooting better than any bow I have ever had. Maybe it was just me getting used to it, I don't know. All I know is I was hitting out to 100 yards with great regularity. My favorite bow of all time.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

No measureable spec change, and the peep hasn't moved. I do shoot 50+ shots before peep installation. And my plan was not to keep this bow - but I'm glad things worked out the way they did, a pleasant surprise. Guess it's kind of like a new pair of boots, feel good when you put them on, but after a few miles they feel even better.

It sure seems like it will be a great hunting bow.

Post Thanks / Like

...you've been struck by cupids arrow...

Post Thanks / Like

What you'll finds is that Draw weight, Draw length, brace height, and ATA may change slightly. It's a machine that is no different than any other man made machine such as a high performance car...there is a break-in period.

With the bow, even though the measurements you get are almost identical, it doesn't mean that very minor changes didn't occur. It may be in the hundredths or thousands of an inch (think of tuning a guitar). Think of the strings like a guitar, just a couple thousandths of an inch make a huge difference in tone...no different here.

I'd suggest taking it to a bowsmith, putting it on a draw board and making sure the timing is correct along with the DL and DW. Cam timing can make it seem like a different bow.

Congrats