Thread: Broken Cam!!!

bassnbucks

Unhappy Broken Cam!!!

Well I figured it out with the help of my local pro shop, my Tracers lower cam didnt have a bad bearing the cam itself broke!! I was hoping it was just a bushing but that was not the case. I talked to a very knowledgable sounding person at a different pro shop in my state today who believes that my bow has the Tru- arc cams. He also stated that they are prone to breakage as he has done repairs on 20+ over the years with this same cam. He also said that in his experience Martin has replaced the weaker cam setup with a single cam- Dyna cam setup. However it works out I hope this can get fixed reasonably, he bragged about Martin replacing all of the others that he could remember because it was a weak manufactured part. I can only hope this will be the case for me too! My buddy is really pushing me to get a Mathews. Any thoughts are welcome on this Tru-arc cam system and how Martin has treated you with any of your equipment issues. Thanks, John in MI.

Post Thanks / Like

bass,

Martin did have some problems with the original TruArc breaking. Some did and some didn't. They realized the rpoblem, but instead of recalling all the bows and replacing them they are covering each bow as a warranty fix.

I haven't been involved with any for a a little over a year, but at that time any bow that needed fixed was done so, replacing the TruArc with the DynaCam.

You can work with your local shop on this. Martin replaces the parts at no cost to you. You need to ask your dealer what he will charge for labor for the swap. If his price is too high, then you can probably call Martin's customer service, arrange for an RA # and ship the bow back to the company and let them do it. You'll incur about a $15-$20 shipping fee, but that's all. You'll end up with a new cam and idler and new strings to boot.

Mathews? Yeh, OK, if you have money to piss away. Before I'd get a Mathews I'd take a serious look at the 2008 MOAB. Just as good as Mathews, but $300 less money.

flytier17

I feel the same way with Matthews. I have owned 2, a switchback LD, and a Dren. and I have shot the MOAB. Matthews has nothing on Martin. Both are sophisticated top-end bows, only on one you pay more for the name. Also, Mathews cams are not draw-length adjustable. I found this out the hard way. I outgrew my LD. $200 bucks for new cams!

bassnbucks

I appreciate the feedback guys! I did some looking on the net a found the truarc cams for $250 + ship in Australia! I didnt want to invest that much in a 4 yr old bow. So the info you gave on Martin doing the fixes is very good to hear. My local pro shop owner is down in Indy this week and didnt get me any info before he left so Im kinda stuck in limbo here worrying about the outcome. Your info sets me at ease on this whole deal.
    I did shoot a few different brand bows at my shop the other day and see there is a big difference in speed and especially smoothness in the upper end bows, compared to my Tracer. I havent seen a moab yet, how much do they retail for? My shop does have a bengal in stock, I didnt shoot that one yet. Is this a good step up from my bow?
    Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassnbucks View Post
    I appreciate the feedback guys! I did some looking on the net a found the truarc cams for $250 + ship in Australia! I didnt want to invest that much in a 4 yr old bow. So the info you gave on Martin doing the fixes is very good to hear. My local pro shop owner is down in Indy this week and didnt get me any info before he left so Im kinda stuck in limbo here worrying about the outcome. Your info sets me at ease on this whole deal.
    I did shoot a few different brand bows at my shop the other day and see there is a big difference in speed and especially smoothness in the upper end bows, compared to my Tracer. I havent seen a moab yet, how much do they retail for? My shop does have a bengal in stock, I didnt shoot that one yet. Is this a good step up from my bow?
    Thanks again for the info.

The MSRP on a MOAB is $479. Figure $449 OTC, but I've seen them as low as $429.

Post Thanks / Like

Darned computer buttons. You ask if the Bengal would be a step up over your Tracer. Sure it would, but only you can decide if it's worth the money to you. Take into consideration you'll still have a short, single cam bow so may have or end up with the same or similar cam-lean situation.

The Bengal and newer MOAB have the MPro cam. This is supposed to be one of the smoothest drawing cams on the market today and I have yet to hear of somone not liking it after shooting it.

For what it's worth I'd wait till you get your present bow repaired and see if you like it better. Afterall, it's already paid for. You can always change later.

bassnbucks

Thanks for your thoughts on the bengal and moab. You have a good point a bout already having a bow, I was just nervous about it not getting repaired for a reasonable price. I just spoke with a different pro shop an hour away and he is calling martin to get the new dyna cams on the way! The first pro shop I was working with wasnt working with me! I appreciate all of the info. I hope my tracer works out.

bassnbucks

Smile

The pro shop just called me back already and the new cams, strings and limbs are on the way!!! I must say Im rather impressed, Martin now has another loyal customer!

Post Thanks / Like

That's why we always say their customer service is second to none. I think you might have found a good dealer, too. Might be an hour away, but sounds like he might be worth the ride.

cagstorm

Quote Originally Posted by bassnbucks View Post
    The pro shop just called me back already and the new cams, strings and limbs are on the way!!! I must say Im rather impressed, Martin now has another loyal customer!

Welcome to the club... And how did you like the new setup?