Thread: Scepter V vs. Shadowcat Draw

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scepter V vs. Shadowcat Draw

on my scepter v my 27 1/2" arrow has about 1/2 " overhang on the rest. on my shadowcat that same arrow winds up right at the edge of the rest. does the brace height have that effect? does the scepter v have a more reflex riser? both are set at the same 28 1/2" draw and draw stop.

Post Thanks / Like

I the draw is longer on one then the string/cable lengths are not correct for the bow. Which one is something you have to find out for yourself. An easy way to do this is to physially measure the draw length of both bows on a draw board. Never assume that the bows are the correct draw length just because the module is set to a certain setting. Most bows are off some, usually on the long side.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

thanks bfisher. i do know the ata and brace height on both bows is spot on with the factory specs...if that makes any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

i double checked the rest position and, since both are NAP drop aways, and they are set very close to the same position on the risers. i had a set of pro line strings on the shadowcat replacing the factory strings and they are nearly identical.

on the shadowcat the mods are set in the third hole while on the scepter v they're in the fourth hole, meaning the scepter should be longer draw placing the end of the arrow further back on the rest at full draw.

can't figure it out. draw length is draw length, right?

just checked the specs for the two bows and it says the mods on the SC is 27-30 for the 1.5 (which i have) and 26.5-32.25 for the scepter v. now i'm really confused.
    Last edited by CarlosII; 08-28-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added information

Post Thanks / Like

Check your bow on a draw board. Be sure to watch the draw weight and draw stops.

you say that the holes location is different...makes since to me. Different cam (Nitro Hybrid vs Nitro 1.5 or 2.0), the Septer is a shorter ATA and Brace, it only makes since that the feel will be different.

Even if you have two bows that are consecutive serial numbers...it's reasonable that one may feel different than the other. Just the difference in strings may make a tuning change...you may need to add or remove twists of the cables and or strings.
    Last edited by SeanH; 09-19-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe both bows come with the 1.5 cams. The difference in draw length is totally attributable to the difference in the a2a length. Given that everything on the two bows is the same the bow with the longer a2a will have a longer draw length. That explains the different setting for the modules. And never ever rely on factory claims that such and such setting yield X draw length. That's only so if the strings and cables are twisted exactly to specs and even then they might not be spot on. The only way to ensure that a bow draws to such and such draw lrngth is to put it on a draw board, check it, and adjust as necessary.

Even at that, if you are really anal about getting the bow set t your optimum draw length then you may end up twisting or untwisting cables and string to get that last 1/8" or 1/16". Very few people spend the time to do this, experimenting with how a bow holds and aims and adjusting the bow with the attitude that factory specs are just approximations to begin with. Make the bow fit you, then measure the specs and let them be what they are. Just record them so you can set the bow the same if you should change the rigging in the future.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver