Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Hang-On

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lightweight Hang-On

Season is coming up soon and I still want to get a new mobile set up. I've been pretty set on getting a Gorilla Silverback Scout, but recently have seen a few others that might be worth looking into. All 13lbs or less so far.

Silverback Scout $130 msrp:
    Platform Size: 18" x 24"
    Rating: 275 lbs.
    Seat Height: 20"
    Seat Size: 12.75" x 9.25"
    Weight: 10.5lbs

Bone Collector Aluminum $129 (WallyWorld Special):
    Weight: 10 lbs
    Seat height: 22"
    Platform Size: 20x29"

Field and Stream Scrapeline $120 (Dick's):
    Aluminum hang-on stand with 32.5" x 22"slat platform
    Flip-up platform seat with 16.5" x 11'' comfort seat cushion
    Carry Weight: 13 lbs

--

I saw the Field and Stream stand at my local Dick's recently, but think they had it for $130 ... For the Walmart, it is ship to store - so no biggie there. The Scout I'd have to hike it up to Cabelas (bout 50 miles ... if they have one in stock)

I've never heard of the stand that Walmart is selling and I could really give a rats arse if it is a BC branded piece ... the sturdyness and the weight is what I'm more concerned with. Not sure if it actually is 10lbs. The F&S is 2.5 more than the others, which really isn't that much of a difference, but it is still "heavier" ...

I'd like to order a set of LW Sticks, thinking a 4 pack is what I'm going to want to go with in order to get to the height I'd like to see 15-20'

--

Thoughts??
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Just did some poking around ... that I could have done before. The BC from Walmart is pretty much the Ameristep Avenger re-badged ... I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 2 King Gongs (I think) from Sports Authority last year for like $75. They are pretty light. Sportsmans Guide has some good buys too.
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Season is coming up soon and I still want to get a new mobile set up. I've been pretty set on getting a Gorilla Silverback Scout, but recently have seen a few others that might be worth looking into. All 13lbs or less so far.

Silverback Scout $130 msrp:
    Platform Size: 18" x 24"
    Rating: 275 lbs.
    Seat Height: 20"
    Seat Size: 12.75" x 9.25"
    Weight: 10.5lbs

Bone Collector Aluminum $129 (WallyWorld Special):
    Weight: 10 lbs
    Seat height: 22"
    Platform Size: 20x29"

Field and Stream Scrapeline $120 (Dick's):
    Aluminum hang-on stand with 32.5" x 22"slat platform
    Flip-up platform seat with 16.5" x 11'' comfort seat cushion
    Carry Weight: 13 lbs

--

I saw the Field and Stream stand at my local Dick's recently, but think they had it for $130 ... For the Walmart, it is ship to store - so no biggie there. The Scout I'd have to hike it up to Cabelas (bout 50 miles ... if they have one in stock)

I've never heard of the stand that Walmart is selling and I could really give a rats arse if it is a BC branded piece ... the sturdyness and the weight is what I'm more concerned with. Not sure if it actually is 10lbs. The F&S is 2.5 more than the others, which really isn't that much of a difference, but it is still "heavier" ...

I'd like to order a set of LW Sticks, thinking a 4 pack is what I'm going to want to go with in order to get to the height I'd like to see 15-20'

--

Thoughts??
    I'd think that the F & S with the larger platform and seat would be worth the extra 2.5-3 lbs, the others have rather small seating area, thinking that the buns would prefer the bit of extra room to change positions on. Same with the platform, 18 x 24 is'nt a lot of room especially when you subtrack 9.24 ( width of the seat from it, leaves only an 18 x 15.5 area for your feet, can't really count what under the seat. Tell you what cut a piece of cardboard that size and keep your feet on through out dinner. For me that only leaves 3.5" front to back. The BC is 2" wider and 5" longer, a bit more room to move your feet, but what if you have to stand to get your shot? I'd pack that little bit of extra weight.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much stand the hole time. My dad has a few older stands that are set up that have pretty small platforms and extremely small "sling" seats. Small enough that I only have a few inches on either side of my boots if I need to move around, but if you are used to the smaller platforms, it doesn't really bother me that much. If I sit, it is right when I get in the tree to settle myself before first light and then stand just before there is enough light to clearly anything that might be approaching.

On thing I dont know about the BC stand is the bushing connections that they Gorilla and F&S have.

Just found this at Sportsmans Guide ... might be worth looking into, limited quantity though. $105 w/ shipping.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=979244
    Last edited by droppixel; 08-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Might have to act fast on that one, get your's before they're all gone! As long as you're comfortable enough to put enough sitting time in, they'll work. Personally, I'm a ground blind guy, hard to fall off the ground!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to think it is a tossup between all of them. The BC stand is looking nice with the combination of weight and platform size. Larger than the Gorilla. The one thing that I know for sure the Gorilla and the FS have over the BC is the bushings at the connections for "silent" operation. I think the BC would be able to be disassembled to be able to add the plastic washers to the connections points to add to that. I might just keep looking around and see what I can find the best deal on, the Sportsman's stand is a heck of a deal I think and a cushion replacement might not be a bad choice for that if needed. The little bit of extra weight in the FS I think is fine considering the trade off of having the largest platform, which could be the most comfortable and effective as far as range of movement and ease of movement is concerned when standing.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrapeline and BC are both on sale now at respective retailers. Scrapeline is running $79.99 at Dicks and BC is $89.99 WalMart.

Been trying to track down a Scrapeline because I have a $10 off from buying my tags at Dicks but my store sold their last and the other 3 in the area also don't have them, though 1 offered to put an order in for me if I came to the store, so might need to do that. Found a deal on fleabay for some LW sticks too ... so thinking it's early xmas present for myself

Post Thanks / Like

I got my self a Halloween present. A Summit Raptor (?) From Cabelas. It is aluminum. And has a bracket you strap to the tree then hang the stand on the bracket. I will never by another non-aluminum again. I could of got 2 of the cheaper (steel) brands but this thing weighs like next to nothing!!
    2013 PANTERA w/ cloaked cams, PINK Meta peep, PINK/BROWN BSD strings, PINK/BROWN BowJax, Truglo Range Rover Pendulum Site, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2012 Onza III w/cloaked cams, Meta peep, Truglo Micro Brite, Shockwave Stabilizer
    2010 G5 Quest Primal
    True-Fire Hardcore and Winn Free Flight releases
    Maxima's tipped w/ RAGE broadheads (some w/ PINK fletching)

Post Thanks / Like

Just had this as a thought ... some climbers have lighter platforms and are really easy to set up. Would it make any sort of sense to pick up a lighter weight climber stand and then also have sticks for the versatility. You could just take the platform out if you know you want to get in a tree that the climber wouldn't work going up but the sticks would, get it hooked up to the tree once you get your sticks up and make it to the top. Summit probably makes the most sense because of their cable system being crazy easy to insert/adjust.