Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input on the 2012 Bengal and Pantera

Post Thanks / Like

Default Input on the 2012 Bengal and Pantera

Hey guys, I was wondering if those of you who have bought either of these bows could give me some updated reviews. I have a 2001 Martin Panther and after shooting both the Bengal and Pantera there is no comparison to these newer bows. I'm stuck between the two and was hoping you all could help me with my decision. Thanks JP

Post Thanks / Like

Well Ive got the Pantera, I bought this bow to shoot 3D with and its done very well. Its a very accurate bow and is very forgiving also. Im going to be honest in saying that Im a little dissapointed with the Fury XT cam just from a performance stance but the bow shoots very well. This winter Im going to really super tune it and see just what its capable of! Ive never shot the Bengal Pro but Ive read some good reviews about it.
    ............."You'll have that on those big jobs!!"..............
    2011 Hoyt Maxxis 35
    2012 Hoyt CRX 35

Post Thanks / Like

Let me put it this way ... I had an Alien X - I won the Bengal ... decided to sell the Alien X

Bengal is unbelievable, it's an all around great bow in my opinion. But I agree with Thermo, there is a lot to be learned abou the Fury XT cam yet. It is still very new and don't think there have been many that have really given the cam a good work out in the tuning department. If you were to get a Bengal, I'm confident you wouldn't be disappointed.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the one that feels the best to you, if you're anywhere that you can shoot both of them. If you're like most of us on this board, you're quite a drive away from a Martin dealer. In that case lets hope more Bengal and Pantera shooters weight in. Searching the posts on this forum won't be much help, as both of those bows are discussed often. The good news is that it is 99.9% good press for both bows, but again, thats not helping. Really about all I can add is that .1% is disapointed in the speed of the newer bows, but you're shooting an 11 year old bow so they'll both seem very fast to you. Flip a coin?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Go with the one that feels the best to you, if you're anywhere that you can shoot both of them. If you're like most of us on this board, you're quite a drive away from a Martin dealer. In that case lets hope more Bengal and Pantera shooters weight in. Searching the posts on this forum won't be much help, as both of those bows are discussed often. The good news is that it is 99.9% good press for both bows, but again, thats not helping. Really about all I can add is that .1% is disapointed in the speed of the newer bows, but you're shooting an 11 year old bow so they'll both seem very fast to you. Flip a coin?
    I only think this is going to be the case until a few of us really dig into what this cam can do and see exactly how it likes to be set up? I advanced mine a touch and can see how/where some of the serving wear has come at the end of the lobe. I need to build and get mine on a draw board yet to see where the optimal stopping location with the module is. A lot of this is going to be done after the season, but can say with 100% certainty they bow is shooting amazingly even as it sits. I know more speed can get gained, it's just a matter of finding out how it wants to be set up to get it.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thank guys for the responses! I know these bows have been discussed many times on here and I'm sure it gets old responding to the same Q every day. But I do appreciate the responses. My Panther is 33" a2a so I am leaning towards the Pantera since it is a longer bow. But I felt comfortable with the Bengal also. lol I guess it's a good thing that Martin has all these great bows to choose from. Good Luck to everyone this season! JP

Post Thanks / Like

I own X3 Martins'. I really like all of them but will say that my Pantera can flat out shoot. Just took a nice big 2X2 at 80 yards with a Slick Trick Razor Trick and he went only 20 yards. With that the Fury Cam is a little rough on draw but nothing like some of the big three. The Nitro Cams are just sweet on draw, vibration and speed. I love my Fire Cat and it will be hunting Bull Elk next month. A lot of folks on here really speak highly of the Bengal also. droppixel is the one to listen too on the Bengal. Set up is inportant for any shooter. But all I can say is Pantera Pantera Pantera.......
    Ranger 6
    2011 Fire Cat 400 (Custom)
    2005 Martin SlayR
    2012 Mathews z7 Magnum
    2011 Prime Centerod
    2001 PSE Excellerator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JP9301 View Post
    Thank guys for the responses! I know these bows have been discussed many times on here and I'm sure it gets old responding to the same Q every day. But I do appreciate the responses. My Panther is 33" a2a so I am leaning towards the Pantera since it is a longer bow. But I felt comfortable with the Bengal also. lol I guess it's a good thing that Martin has all these great bows to choose from. Good Luck to everyone this season! JP
    It never gets old trying to help a guy out, sometimes its just really tough to give a difinative awnser, in your case, you ask which is better between two really nice shooting bows, then it comes down to how it feels to you, the shooter.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest shooting them both just for feel. They both have the same cam so the draw cycle is going to be very close. The Pantera, being 3" longer, will feel a bit smoother and definitely the more consistently accurate. Longer is just more stable. Some people will argue with me, but I've been doing this too many years and find short bows more finicky than their longer counterparts. If you're taller than about 5'11" you'll probably find the string angle fits you better on the longer Pantera, too.

The Bengal might be better suited if you shoot (hunt) out of a ground blind, but for treestand hunting 3" more isn't going to make that much difference. Afterall it's only 1 1/2" on each end. Me? I'm 5'8" tall and find anything shorter than 34" just doesn't sit well with me and I personally shoot bows about 38" the best. I just can't find them in my draw length any more. Seems like everybody wants to shoot 30" and 70# these days. I have need of neither.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I would suggest shooting them both just for feel. They both have the same cam so the draw cycle is going to be very close. The Pantera, being 3" longer, will feel a bit smoother and definitely the more consistently accurate. Longer is just more stable. Some people will argue with me, but I've been doing this too many years and find short bows more finicky than their longer counterparts. If you're taller than about 5'11" you'll probably find the string angle fits you better on the longer Pantera, too.

The Bengal might be better suited if you shoot (hunt) out of a ground blind, but for treestand hunting 3" more isn't going to make that much difference. Afterall it's only 1 1/2" on each end. Me? I'm 5'8" tall and find anything shorter than 34" just doesn't sit well with me and I personally shoot bows about 38" the best. I just can't find them in my draw length any more. Seems like everybody wants to shoot 30" and 70# these days. I have need of neither.
    Thanks that helped a lot! I'm 5'9" and have a short draw at 27.5". I've been leaning more towards the Pantera for the stability of a longer bow. My Panther is 33" so I don't think 1" will feel much different to me. Would you suggest one or the other knowing my DL?